Memories

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
mactosh

Memories

Post by mactosh »

This is probably not of great interest to most on this forum but here goes anyway.
My great love has always been for nylon full length raincoats and now as i am in my 70's its mostly memories. During the hayday of nylon, in the 70's and 80's, I used to play a game as I went around, counting all the nylon macs I'd see in a day and how many red (my favourite), navy, green etc, how many with hoods and how many without. It would usually be 10 + and probably with a majority of reds.
In those days I used to wear one of my red macs and if lucky my wife would reluctantly join me in wearing a red one too. I can clearly remember one day while out shoping, we were in a Poundland type shop when a lady came in wearing a mac similar to mine with hood up. We had joined the queue at the till when the other lady in red came along and joined us. It was wonderful to see the three of us in red. I remember I gave her a smile which she returned, but never knew if it was for the red macs or not.
Nowadays my wife would never wear a long nylon mac nor allow me to wear one either. I still have most of my collection but rarely get the opportuniy to indulge myself. I have joined the younger set now wearing rain jackets in several types and styles of nylon with numerous motifes like spots and small animals and with hoods of course.I have bought a few in my wife size but she is not keen to wear them.
Mactosh.
maidjenny

Re: Memories

Post by maidjenny »

Hi Mactosh i am also in my 70s just lol. My girlfriend was a hairdresser and always wore a nylon overall, and soon bought a blue nylon mac which i could not keep my hands off. We married and it got better with her making me wear nylon overall at home then decided she liked me as a maid, and ive dressed ever since but now on my own i still dress at home and go out in my long plastic or rubberised macs. I have often hoped for fashion to come back round to the good old 60s 70s and 80s.
Andyf08

Post by Andyf08 »

As a child I was made to wear a long nylon mac to school fully buttoned upto my neck each day. It did not have a hood so was forced to wear a plastic rain bonnet despite many protests. My mum also wore nylon overalls everyday. When I was married my wife liked putting me in her skirts and blouses to which I also enjoyed it. As time went on things progressed and wife found photos of me in long mac and rain bonnet. She decided this must be brought back. One day we were helping my mum clear old things out of her house and we came across macs, overalls and pinnies. Wife kept them and I had to wear them all the time. Now we are divorced I still have many of the items and still wear them.
rainwear-experience

Post by rainwear-experience »

Hope this might remind you of days gone by Helen & Caz in a large Red Rainstar Nylon Mac

JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

mactosh wrote: January 13th, 2021, 3:48 pm Nowadays my wife would never wear a long nylon mac nor allow me to wear one either. I still have most of my collection but rarely get the opportuniy to indulge myself. I have joined the younger set now wearing rain jackets in several types and styles of nylon with numerous motifes like spots and small animals and with hoods of course.I have bought a few in my wife size but she is not keen to wear them.
Mactosh.
I feel for you and understand. My wife has never been keen and indulges me under sufferance. I can count the number of times she has has willingly worn something sexy in public on the fingers of one hand if you include the thumb! But all of these were many years ago, now She only gets dressed up in my dreams, which of course are far saucier than she would ever do in real life. Here's hoping for you that your wife comes round to your way of thinking and potters off to the shops wearing nothing but a long, red, nylon Mac and a smile on her face!