Bet Lynch (Coronation Street) - wearing her shiny leopard-print PVC mackintosh.

If you would like to share some pictures and videos please post them here.
bossali

Re: Bet Lynch (Coronation Street).

Post by bossali »

I found out of all the macs at that period made of PU those two were my favourite, especially the Mandy Marsh one, with its neat collar, belt & epulates. They ones like Bet wears is my favourite style, they were made in various colours, silver, metallic, yellow, white, black, with press stud fastening , later versions of the macs had buttons
shinymacs

Post by shinymacs »

WealdenMac wrote: June 4th, 2020, 12:17 pm Love the recollections about Harglenis and Mandy Marsh. Another maker of excellent PVC raincoats at that time was Jan Robert. They were kind enough to send me, on request, a large print of one of their best advertising pictures which for devilment I put in a frame and displayed in my office. It prompted at least one other woman working nearby to buy a similar mac. My secretary at the time was also much taken by it and I offered to arrange to get her one at a discount from a supplier I knew. But that was scuppered when her unreconstructed South East Londoner husband suggested that she could wear it "up King's Cross for a bit of business"
Some people have not got a clue about how lovely Pvc raincoats are on ladies ...and men for that matter !
rothbhoy

Post by rothbhoy »

bossali wrote: June 4th, 2020, 12:34 pm I found out of all the macs at that period made of PU those two were my favourite, especially the Mandy Marsh one, with its neat collar, belt & epulates. They ones like Bet wears is my favourite style, they were made in various colours, silver, metallic, yellow, white, black, with press stud fastening , later versions of the macs had buttons
I do remember seeing the type of mac that Bet wore in the UK - in both Sheffield and London in the early 90s. I spent most of the rest of the 90s in Denmark and never saw any over there. Do you know which shops sold them in the UK? I would guess maybe Debenhams or the House of Fraser stores (different names in some cities - Cole Brothers/Lewis's etc) in the provincial cities of the UK.
bossali

Post by bossali »

A local fashion shop sold them a company called Watt Brothers in Glasgow sold them as well, House of Fraser sold them as well
rothbhoy

Post by rothbhoy »

bossali wrote: June 4th, 2020, 1:02 pm A local fashion shop sold them a company called Watt Brothers in Glasgow sold them as well, House of Fraser sold them as well
Cheers for the update pal. I kinda guessed they might have been sold by the House of Fraser stores. Bet's mac would almost certainly have been bought in by the Coronation Street Costume and Wardrobe Dep't from Lewis's (the House of Fraser store in Manchester) then. Casting my memory back I can vaguely remember them being on sale at Cole Brothers (the House of Fraser store in central Sheffield) in the early 90s.
bossali

Post by bossali »

Cant say I ever saw the leopard print mac & often wonder if it was a made esecially for the the programme, pvt message me if you would like to see some photos
Cheers
rothbhoy

Post by rothbhoy »

bossali wrote: June 4th, 2020, 1:18 pm Cant say I ever saw the leopard print mac & often wonder if it was a made esecially for the the programme, pvt message me if you would like to see some photos
Cheers
I did see women wearing the leopard print mac - definitely in Sheffield and I think I saw a few women wearing them in Manchester and London too.
bossali

Post by bossali »

oh wow lucky you
Sarah pvc

Post by Sarah pvc »

rothbhoy wrote: June 4th, 2020, 9:47 am
Sarah pvc wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 8:40 pm
rothbhoy wrote: August 23rd, 2018, 9:08 am Clip of Bet Lynch (played by Julie Goodyear) wearing her shiny leopard-print PVC mackintosh in an episode of 'Coronation Street'. ENJOY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D337A2O4JjY
Love that, and the matching clutch bag...to die for.
Yes, she looked so damned sexy in that lovely mac. The times I've thought about her "being on top" while wearing that mac....
Indeed me too.
barbedwirelove60

Post by barbedwirelove60 »

its so lovely seeing this clip of Bet Lynch (Julie Goodyear) wearing her shiny leopard-print PVC mackintosh and black leather gloves... I remember her wearing this with fond memories, because my own mum another Bet, owned one just like it and wore it with leather gloves and boots... and like Bet Lynch my mum was also a sexy smoker... so many thanks for sharing....