Stutterheim

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
MacRobin

Stutterheim

Post by MacRobin »

Does anyone have any direct experience of the current Stutterheim range of what they call “rubberised cotton”? As we well know, these days, the term “rubber” has been extended to include whatever synthetic polymer/elastomer is available in bulk from China. However, Stutterheim assert they make their own stuff and they do use the description “polyurethane” where appropriate so “rubberised” ought not to be PU. But they also describe their boots as being made from “natural rubber”, a term they don’t use on their raincoats. The reason why I am asking is because they have a sale on at the moment including a large number of both shortie and long “rubberised cotton” raincoats. The prices are remarkably low by modern “rubber raincoat” standards. With the additional discount of 10% for signing up to their newsletter, I could get a full length “rubberised cotton” black number, free delivery, for 130€. This would be the lighter weight of the two fabric weights they offer. It is “rubberised” on the outside so to satisfy all requirements (the feel next to the skin) and what it looks like when worn outside, one might need to order two. But there is a risk that when the package is opened, it smells of nothing, or perhaps PVC. Now please dear PVC lovers, I mean no disrespect, quite the opposite. We who love natural rubber, or something close to it like SBR, get the same inexplicable kick from rubber, that you do from PVC. I have read you and it is obvious, we both experience the same neurological response. But if you ordered something described as PVC on eBay, you would irritated if you opened the pack and were regaled with the aroma of natural rubber. I have a theory why we respond in this way.

Anyway, any comments whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.
rubgum

Re: Stutterheim

Post by rubgum »

MacRobin wrote: July 30th, 2022, 4:41 pm Does anyone have any direct experience of the current Stutterheim range of what they call “rubberised cotton”? As we well know, these days, the term “rubber” has been extended to include whatever synthetic polymer/elastomer is available in bulk from China. However, Stutterheim assert they make their own stuff and they do use the description “polyurethane” where appropriate so “rubberised” ought not to be PU. But they also describe their boots as being made from “natural rubber”, a term they don’t use on their raincoats. The reason why I am asking is because they have a sale on at the moment including a large number of both shortie and long “rubberised cotton” raincoats. The prices are remarkably low by modern “rubber raincoat” standards. With the additional discount of 10% for signing up to their newsletter, I could get a full length “rubberised cotton” black number, free delivery, for 130€. This would be the lighter weight of the two fabric weights they offer. It is “rubberised” on the outside so to satisfy all requirements (the feel next to the skin) and what it looks like when worn outside, one might need to order two. But there is a risk that when the package is opened, it smells of nothing, or perhaps PVC. Now please dear PVC lovers, I mean no disrespect, quite the opposite. We who love natural rubber, or something close to it like SBR, get the same inexplicable kick from rubber, that you do from PVC. I have read you and it is obvious, we both experience the same neurological response. But if you ordered something described as PVC on eBay, you would irritated if you opened the pack and were regaled with the aroma of natural rubber. I have a theory why we respond in this way.

Anyway, any comments whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.
I have Stutterheim 'Mosebacke' made in Poland, tells me the label inside.
Well made but not the rubberised feeling. Sorry, not what you're looking for.
I would like to hear from other users, what they have experienced with Stutterheim.
Look here, I have no coat from there, but this could meet your needs.
https://www.hamiltonclassicsrainwear.co.uk/
Tiefdruckgebiet

Post by Tiefdruckgebiet »

Stutterheim mainly has three different fabric lines...

1) the regular "rubberized" cotton which is a pvc coating. It is average-weight/thickness (compared to some heavy duty gear with more than 600 g/m²) durable material and one of the best matte pvc materials of current manufacturers out there.

2) their lightweight stuff which has pu coating - that doesn't flash me at all, so I didn't buy anything from their lightweight collection

3) the shiny opal series - this is their very best product line at least if you like shiny garments! The older first opal generation was the thickest and stiffest material (own one coat), the newer ones are less stiff and better for daily practical usage. And now I know their "midweigt" 280g opal fabric too - for that reason I can recommend their Nolby coat esp, in the black opal version. It isn't heavy material of course but it feels very good, soft and far more like "rubberized" than the regular matte pvc coating. It feels very good and it looks damn good!

Don't be confused by their listing in the women's section only - it is long and has a straight unisex cut, right buttoning, long sleeves (long enough for tall men). If you are tall, not built like Hulk and look for a nice long coat in shiny material you definitely should have a look at the Nolby coat! You can find it in their summer sale section now.
Funnily their sizing chart shows women's and men's size conversions. I told them why not selling it as a perfect unisex coat listed in the men's section as well, they told me they think about it but nothing has happened so far. Their marketing seems a little bit strange indeed. If you remember the Marni collab coat of 2018, it seems to have the same cut so I think they copied the cut and created a "new" coat. The Marni coat was sold as men's or unisex, can't remember exactly, at least it was presented by male models. The details like sleeve ends with pvc at the inner and outer side are identical.

Marni:
Image Image

Nolby: Image Image

The only thing I don't understand is due to their sizing chart the coat is 143 cm long in ALL sizes!!! Just imagine how someone looks needing an XXS and being able to wear a 143 cm long coat properly. Or it could be a copy'n'paste mistake...
timeless fashion is the best fashion - classic "rubberized" raincoats are timeless
rubgum

Post by rubgum »

Very helpful description and Images.
I'm still interested in Stutterheim and will follow your recommendations.
Hope 'macRobin' will provide as well from your description.
Thanks ;)
Shinypvc100

Post by Shinypvc100 »

I own a Stutterheim black opal jacket, most fabulous to wear when you are out in a crowd, the feed back is absolutely amazing
Foxrubber

Post by Foxrubber »

Own different models from Stutterheim in various materials. Would say that the Camden model is light Opalo is the closest one from rubber feeling.
But it is definitely not rubber…

Have the Marni long raincoat as a man. Think effectively that the long model sold on their website is the same and is unisex. Was simply slimmer than Stockholm model.
black_shiny

Post by black_shiny »

Stutterheim has expanded their opal collection recently. Lots to choose from right now for shiny rainwear. I have opal black Stockholm and love it. Pricy but well made
milrubber

Post by milrubber »

I just returned my "Nolby" in L because the sleeves were to slim so you could not really wear a sweater or a fleece jacket under it.
Ordered it now in XXL and hope it will be a more relaxed fit.

Too bad there are no stores around that carry these coats. Would be easier if you could try 'em on.

I have an older Stockholm opalo, which I find to be a bit too stiff to be really comfortable to wear.
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

This is just a thought?
As you stated in one of the above descriptions Made in Poland label.
Are they made in the AJ Group of Poland Factory??
milrubber

Post by milrubber »

Hi Spitfire,

i think that is highly probable. The designs you can get from AJ directly are less nice though and the ordering process is a bit bothersome.