Lacking in confidence, rainwear in indoor public spaces

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Izzitpvc

Lacking in confidence, rainwear in indoor public spaces

Post by Izzitpvc »

Sometime ago I purchased a cagoule from Pvc-U-Like, in a now much missed in “olive green”, I love the feel & texture and in particular the unique “aroma” for me that is a major part of the pleasure & enjoyment of wearing it, however in my mind it is a “double edged sword” as so far I have only had the confidence to wear it indoors, because as the material warms up the aroma become even more pronounced. This is my dilemma. As I lack the confidence to wear it when I am going on public transport or standing in a queue in a supermarket, how do other folks manage or care? And does anyone bother about water dripping off it whilst standing at a checkout? Any thoughts or comments would be very much appreciated.
mason

Re: Lacking in confidence, rainwear in indoor public spaces

Post by mason »

Seriously, no one gives a flying fuck what kind of rainwear you wear when it's wet and cold. It only stands out on hot & dry days.

Very few people are even aware rainwear is a (sexual) fetish. In other words, our irrational fear of wearing rainwear in public is all in our mind - because WE know it's kinky and a bit "weird".

I've even worn my super shiny yellow rainsuits around the supermarket. I've also worn my blue/yellow PVC-U-LIKE rain overalls to my local mall, albeit on a very cold and showery day. I was quite surprisded to observe that no one gave a shit what I was wearing.

Just do it, and enjoy being in rainwear.
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

mason wrote: April 13th, 2022, 12:47 pm Seriously, no one gives a flying fuck what kind of rainwear you wear when it's wet and cold. It only stands out on hot & dry days.

Very few people are even aware rainwear is a (sexual) fetish. In other words, our irrational fear of wearing rainwear in public is all in our mind - because WE know it's kinky and a bit "weird".

I've even worn my super shiny yellow rainsuits around the supermarket. I've also worn my blue/yellow PVC-U-LIKE rain overalls to my local mall, albeit on a very cold and showery day. I was quite surprisded to observe that no one gave a shit what I was wearing.

Just do it, and enjoy being in rainwear.
Fair comment there!
Izzitpvc

Post by Izzitpvc »

Mason thanks for your reply, I know it is an "irrational fear" that I have and probably many others in wearing rain wear in enclosed public spaces, not at all in open spaces, parks etc, I think it might be being so close to others even if it wearing a "non descriptive" olive green cagoule, it was the "aroma/smell" that comes from wearing it. I will take your advice and "sod it" what is the worst that can happen? Just need to wait on appropriate weather "coming along" shouldn't have to wait too long
Take care & thanks again
Rainworshipper

Post by Rainworshipper »

This is similar to my own feelings until about 3 years ago, I would not have had the confidence to wear my long shiny mac out in public, but one day when there was plenty of rain forecast I went down to the coast, got changed in my car and went for a walk on the coastal path. I did not meet many people but I did not get any negative comments. Becoming a member of this forum and reading about other people's experiences has helped me to gain the confidence to wear my shiny mac out in public, but I only wear it when it is raining or there is a good chance of rain.
Grab your chance on the next rainy day, go for it Izzitpvc , or anyone else who is having problems with confidence.
Izzitpvc

Post by Izzitpvc »

Rainworshipper wrote: April 13th, 2022, 2:34 pm This is similar to my own feelings until about 3 years ago, I would not have had the confidence to wear my long shiny mac out in public, but one day when there was plenty of rain forecast I went down to the coast, got changed in my car and went for a walk on the coastal path. I did not meet many people but I did not get any negative comments. Becoming a member of this forum and reading about other people's experiences has helped me to gain the confidence to wear my shiny mac out in public, but I only wear it when it is raining or there is a good chance of rain.
Grab your chance on the next rainy day, go for it Izzitpvc , or anyone else who is having problems with confidence.
Great to hear, that like you & probably many others you have gained confidence in wearing rainwear in public, what to me is interesting that a lot of the times folks are wearing rainwear in "outdoor" settings, which in the main is not where my confidence is lacking, wearing my cagoule in the rain and in a open air setting would be fine, however my confidence is lacking in indoor settings or public transport as I wrote earlier "sod it" will just give it a go
maidjenny

Post by maidjenny »

I always feel as if people are looking, i have worn plastic macs for over 50 years an =d still feel the same
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

There is another dimension for some people. I too lack the confidence to go out in PVC, but first I would have to overcome my wife’s disapproval as she knows of my desires, and would not want me in shiny PVC in public. I did used to have an AGU style jacket that I did wear a few times outside, but each time I could sense my wife didn’t like it. So anything I do first has to be behind her back, let alone worry about what strangers think.

JM
shinyphile

Post by shinyphile »

But how is the look? If the look is a normal looking rubberized jacket I would not concern myself with aroma issues. What fabric is it? If it looks normal just enjoy the aroma yourself and not concern yourself.
Izzitpvc

Post by Izzitpvc »

shinyphile wrote: April 15th, 2022, 7:37 am But how is the look? If the look is a normal looking rubberized jacket I would not concern myself with aroma issues. What fabric is it? If it looks normal just enjoy the aroma yourself and not concern yourself.
The look is a "full zip up" jacket with front pockets & hood, the colour is "olive green" and is pvc and in itself not really be particularly noticeable, I do enjoy the aroma myself, it was in my mind "fellow shoppers/travellers might not