Jane's Journey (revised) Part 2

Stories and fantasies about rainwear.
RainwearWife

Jane's Journey (revised) Part 2

Post by RainwearWife »

Big thanks to those of you who left comments, both here and via PM: here's the second instalment.

Chapter 2

I awoke the next morning after a night of very odd dreams, most of which seemed to involve me clad in shiny black plastic clothing; needless to say, the trenchcoat as sported by Mrs Deevers featured very prominently.

Shaking my head to clear the vestigial images from my mind, I got out of bed and made a determined effort to get on with my day as though the events of the previous day hadn’t happened. It was an exercise in futility – try as I might, I could not prevent my thoughts from wandering back to the slinky, glossy black raincoat.

“For Heaven’s sake,” I found myself saying aloud, “it’s only a bloody coat! What’s wrong with you this morning, you daft bitch?”

Making myself a cup of coffee which was a bit stronger than I’d usually have it, I set about getting my work clothes together before showering.

Once out of the shower, I dried and dressed, pushing the nagging vision of the mac to the back of my mind as best I could. What a bizarre thing to start obsessing over! I told myself, thinking that a good dose of mundane reality would bring me back to Earth. Well, I certainly had a day of that ahead of me.

Arriving at the factory, I was greeted inside the main door by Maggie, who had just clocked in herself and was hanging her coat on a peg. “Mornin’, Janey!” she said cheerily. “’Ow’d it go with Madam Posh Knickers yesterday?”

I gave her a polite smile. “Mrs Deevers, you mean? Well, from what little I involvement I had, I’d say it went really well – Mr Lane tells me we won the contract. I’m sure there’ll be formalities to be completed; I might even have had something emailed to me already. I have to say, though, I found her to be a very pleasant –”

Maggie cut me off with a loud snort. “Pleasant? Hah! Stuck-up cow, she is. Brassy tart who married onto the board of Wilmott’s, that’s all. Goes around now like she’s better than everyone else. All fur coat and no knickers, her sort!”

I was tempted to say, “Her knickers were posh a moment ago!”, but decided to keep my thoughts to myself. Maggie was a decent enough person, if she did enjoy a fair amount of tittle-tattle; I could easily see why she’d regard the glamorous Mrs Deevers as having an air of grandeur.

Settling into my chair and switching on the computer, my thoughts instantly started to slide back towards Angela Deevers and her exotic raincoat, when a ‘ping’ from the PC brought me back to the real world. The sound meant that I had emails waiting to be read, which was nothing unusual, so I opened the program and began to go through them.

The first message was from Mr Lane: it had been sent the night before and was informing me that he wouldn’t be in that day, he was off playing golf with fellow members of the local Chamber of Commerce. It was the first indication I’d seen of him having anything approaching a social life, and I was about to close it and move on to the next message when a thought occurred to me. He wasn’t coming in that day – I had a golden opportunity to get on the Internet and do some research... there was bound to be somewhere that sold plastic macs…

Just then, I was startled by the sudden ringing of the phone. Back to reality again – I was supposed to be working, not dreaming about unusual items of clothing! The call was nothing of any real importance and was soon dealt with. I turned back to the PC to continue working when I felt the urge again… go online… look for plastic raincoats… who’s to know?

Realising that I might not get a better opportunity for some time (I certainly wasn’t in a position to get a computer in the flat as yet), I took a deep breath and opened a browser. I typed ‘PVC raincoat’ into the search bar and hit the return key.

Almost instantly, the screen filled with a list of websites.

I sat staring at the screen for a while, uncertain of what to do next, when a knock at the office door gave me quite a start.
“Come in,” I called and the door opened. It was Alan Reynolds, the grandly-titled Despatch Manager (which simply meant he made sure all the factory’s output was sent to the people it was intended for), known to all & sundry as “Big Al” on account of his hefty build. I quickly minimised the browser window as he approached the desk and told me what he wanted – something about a dispatch code not matching up with his list.

He must have noticed my distracted air because he asked me if I was alright, which I lightly dismissed with a glib, “Oh, just didn’t sleep as well as I might’ve, that’s all. Sorry, what batch was it again?”

“For goodness’ sake, lass!” he said in a loud, laughing tone. “The last batch of jar lids for Jenkins’ Foods… bloody order numbers are a right mess.”

“Righto, leave it with me, Al – I’ll have it sorted for you by close of play today,” I promised.

This obviously satisfied him and he left the office, firing off, “Earlier nights for you, lass!” in his warm Northern tone as he went.

Once he was gone I went back to the computer and made a concentrated effort to get some actual work done. This raincoat nonsense was beginning to impinge upon my work – I really had to pull myself together.

By the time I’d got the codes that were troubling Big Al sorted out it was lunchtime, so I decided I’d go out for half an hour in the hope that a little fresh air might do me some good. Nipping into the canteen, I told Maggie I was popping out quickly, then I locked the office door and set off through the industrial estate towards the town.

Before I got into Westbridge itself, I noticed a young woman pushing a stroller walking towards me along the pavement – more accurately, I should say I noticed what she was wearing. It was a navy blue plastic raincoat. She gave me a slight smile as she passed me, which I returned, and involuntarily I stopped and turned to follow her with my eyes.

Her raincoat had a hood which hung at the back and I gazed with a fascination I couldn’t explain. Standing there on the pavement, a vision formed in my head – a vision of me wearing nothing but the raincoat, pulling the hood up over my head.
Coming sharply to my senses, I looked around and saw with relief that there was no-one nearby. I must have looked very strange stood there staring after an unknown passer-by.

I continued walking towards town until I came upon a public bench, sited by a grass bank. I sat down and slowly tried to make sense of what was going on in my head. I’d seen two women in plastic raincoats in as many days, and I couldn’t stop thinking about them. What on Earth was happening to me?

I know, I told myself silently, it’s the stress of the last few months catching up with me. For some reason, I seem to be fixating on perfectly ordinary, everyday objects and they just happen to be plastic macs. There must be hundreds of people walking around in such items and I just haven’t noticed before, that’s all.

“Yes, that’s all it is.”

These last five words I spoke aloud, and again I was grateful that there was no-one else around. Hearing my own voice did, however, have the effect of bringing me out of my dream-like contemplation and a glance at my phone told me it was time I was heading back to the office. I’d eaten nothing since breakfast, yet I didn’t feel at all hungry. Though I tried to deny it, I knew inside that the only thing I had any appetite for there and then was to get back to the computer and discover more about plastic raincoats.

Arriving back at the office, I let Maggie know I’d returned.

“You okay?, love?” she asked, coming over to me with a look of concern on her face. “You look like you’ve had a shock, or something. Big Al said you didn’t seem yourself earlier… anything troubling you?”

My God, I thought, people are noticing! I’ve got to snap out of this, I really have! I told Maggie the same as I’d told Big Al, that I’d not had the best night’s sleep and thanked her for her concern. “I’ll have another cup of coffee and get some work done,” I said, trying to sound light-hearted.

“As long as you’re okay,” she replied in a kindly tone and went off to her own tasks.

I think coffee’s the last thing I need right now, I told myself as I sat at my desk. I took a bottle of water from the drawer where I’d placed it and had a long drink from it. Putting the lid back on the bottle, I reached over to the PC and click the mouse to reactivate the screen. The screen had locked itself by now, a security measure Mr Lane insisted upon even though generally speaking I was the only one in the outer office.

I entered the password; as the desktop returned, I realised I still had the browser window open but minimised. I clicked on the button to restore the window and before I could stop myself, I was once again looking at a seemingly endless list of websites devoted to rainwear.

As I visited site after site, I was a little shocked to realise that many of these sites were devoted not to the simple selling of rainwear, but were created by people who enjoyed wearing it for its own sake – an unfamiliar, delicious shiver through me as I read of people who dressed up in plastic clothing for pure pleasure! I’d always liked to consider myself broad-minded, but this was something totally new to me – new and fascinating.

I spent much of the rest of the afternoon gazing upon images of people, mostly attractive young women, dressed in all manner of plastic gear: not just macs like the one worn by Mrs Deevers, the item which had started this whole thing off for me, but coats like the one I’d seen at lunchtime, jackets, trousers, hats, gloves… pretty much every conceivable item of clothing was shown on one website or another.

By the time I arrived home that evening, my head was a whirl, almost overloaded by the images and information I’d taken in that afternoon. I lay on my bed gazing at the ceiling and tried to think clearly.

After some time, an idea formed which seemed to make good sense: I would buy myself a plastic mac, and then the whole issue would be sorted – I would realise that the entire business was nonsense, and that would be an end to it.

“Yes, that’s it,” I said softly to myself, “I’ll just buy a raincoat. It’s almost autumn anyway, so I’ll need one before long… hasn’t been the best of summers again, so…”

My words tailed off as it dawned on me that what I was really doing was justifying my decision to myself. “It’s just a bloody coat!” I said a little more loudly, more or less repeating my words from that morning. Nonetheless, I found myself spending the evening thinking about how I would go about buying one while I set about preparing a meal and eating it in front of the TV. I couldn’t say what I watched that evening if my life depended upon it – none of it registered with me.

When I finally climbed into bed at eleven PM, I’d made a decision. I lacked the confidence to go and buy a PVC raincoat from a shop, even if such a thing was obtainable in a place like Westbridge, so I’d use the computer at work and order one online.

I’d have to ensure I picked a time when Mr Lane wouldn’t disturb me: my desk faced the window, so anytime he came out of his office, he would have a view of whatever was on my computer screen at the time. I didn’t want to take that risk, so I’d wait for a safe opportunity to present itself.

That opportunity would arise far sooner than I could have expected...
pintrest830

Re: Jane's Journey (revised) Part 2

Post by pintrest830 »

Lovely series so far ! It would be a real shame if Jane were to end up in a thunderstorm
yellowgirl

Post by yellowgirl »

can’t wait till chapter 3 looking great so far
Jennifer987

Post by Jennifer987 »

Well Rainwearwife, you have excelled once again. I very much like how you bring a “raincoat innocent” into the world of our fetishes, then (as I am looking forward to reading in your story) becoming addicted or trapped into rainwear. The best part for me is the introduction of these boys and girls into raincoats.
Again thank you for you stories and I wish you strength to you writing arm.
Jennifer
RainwearWife

Post by RainwearWife »

Thank you for the kind comments, people, they're very encouraging.
It would be a real shame if Jane were to end up in a thunderstorm
Yes, wouldn't it just? :D