Rainwear on the highstreet

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Shinydreams

Rainwear on the highstreet

Post by Shinydreams »

Rainwear in mainstream fashion seems to be scarce this season....
Rainworshipper

Re: Rainwear on the highstreet

Post by Rainworshipper »

It seems to me that shiny rainwear has been in decline for the last 30 years. In autumn 1988 I was working in Brighton and there were plenty of women in long pvc macs, but within a few years there were far less to be seen.
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

I never remember a time when PVC was common, but certainly a lot more than there is now. I see more PVC leggings than macs, and what raincoats there are tend to be that matte rubbery dark grey, which are nice, but nothing like a good black shiny PVC a trench coat with big shoulder pads right of the 80’s.

JM
rubbermackintosh

Post by rubbermackintosh »

If it's not in the shops it won't be common on the streets. If it's not in the shops the fashion buyers don't believe that there is a market for it.

The big question is how do you reverse the situation? A very few high end fashion brands put a toe in the water around five years ago but with prices in four figures they were never going to crack the mass market. Until a mass maker can get stylish quality rainwear on the racks at an affordable price the situation won't change. And yet with the threatened increase in winter storms and flooding there ought to be a demand for goor rainwear and even waders. It needs someone to recognise the potential and be brave enough to take the plunge.
shinyphile

Post by shinyphile »

JellyMan wrote: February 23rd, 2022, 7:49 pm I never remember a time when PVC was common, but certainly a lot more than there is now. I see more PVC leggings than macs, and what raincoats there are tend to be that matte rubbery dark grey, which are nice, but nothing like a good black shiny PVC a trench coat with big shoulder pads right of the 80’s.

JM
While I miss the shiny PVC of prior years, I too am glad to see any type of dark rubbery jackets/raincoats when I see it.
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

shinyphile wrote: February 24th, 2022, 4:21 am While I miss the shiny PVC of prior years, I too am glad to see any type of dark rubbery jackets/raincoats when I see it.
Agreed, we can find comfort in whatever is available. Rarity adds to the excitement, if everyone wore PVC macs all the time, even we aficionados would see it as normal, and look for something more thrilling.

JM
furryhood

Post by furryhood »

Good morning. I am in agreement with you all in that the shiny pvc and vinyl seems to have disappeared from the market place. Even the likes of Asos, Boohoo and Top shop have stopped selling. There is nothing on the internet. Shiny Puffer jackets are even on the decline. Its a shame. However, it wont put us off wearing our shiny macs and hoods. You will see us in our macks, most days strolling along the seafront with our little dog. It never ceases to amaze me the number of knowing nods and smiles we get, from both male and females. Give it time. Theses fashion fads go in cycles. Itll come back. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I would suggest if everybody on here does the same as us and wears their shiny stuff, putting it out there may just help our cause!!!!! Power to the Rainwear people!!!!
sergiouk

Post by sergiouk »

At this time of year stores will be starting to make space for their summer fashions, so don't give up, expect to see rainwear back in September.
Funpvcmac

Post by Funpvcmac »

There was one or two pink glossy shorter Mac's going around the other day in Edinburgh there are still one or two shiny puffa coats going about but it's a shame the shine has coming off the high street if people want to hang there coats up to dry instead of drying them off with a towel then they are good to go I think even the duller coats are getting scarse
Funpvcmac

Post by Funpvcmac »

At Beamish open air museum today nice sunny day no good for a spotter but I did clock 2red rubber 2blue rubber and some shiny puffa coats one even red proper vinyl too the full rubberised coats still pop up now and then