Childhood 'handmedown' shiny hooded mack memories! (Non expl.)

Stories and fantasies about rainwear.
Mackymick

Re: Childhood 'handmedown' shiny hooded mack memories!

Post by Mackymick »

Welcome to the club. Many of us can relate back to childhood. Me too. I have a great love for all patent shiny macs jackets etc. I love the feel of vinyl, pvc, rubber anything glossy! Hope you enjoy the site. Great to hear you have a partner who gets it. Look after her. They are very rare.
Klepperman

Post by Klepperman »

It really is a good discussion point. Im another, who was seduced at a young age.
We, me, Mum and Dad, were in Ilford. Shopping in either Bodgers or C & A. I was about 6 or 7. My mother grabbed my arm, removed my cotton coat and proceeded to wrap me in this horrible shiny, hooded, diamond quilted dark brown anorak. Sound familiar? What is it about parents in those days 'making you' wear the hood up as a punishment? We left, me screaming and yelling, hood, double knotted and tied. Lyons cafeteria, was a few doors along. Under further threat, my hood was removed and ice cream bribery was accepted. Sitting there, stroking the soft padded nylon, is my first recollection of niceness! I will never forget that day. Sixty years later, I am convinced it was 'THAT' turning point! I have love hooded macks and anoraks ever since.
annabell-cagoule

Post by annabell-cagoule »

For me it was a yellow peter storm cagoule i was forced to wear by my friend next doors mum to wear home to walk down the lane in the rain. It was hung up to dry before returning and by the next day was dry and putting it on to save carrying it on my bike i found the material swishy and actually quite nice. A few days later another friends mum took us all for a walk, she was in a navy blue kway over the head cagoule, it helped that she was lovely and we all liked her as kids and later on when older i had a bit of a crush on her for a while, due to the cagoule i think.
Then the patrick cagoules became fashionable and the jelly jackets around our way were the thing to have as girls and between the two i think my rainwear fetish was cemented. I purged a couple of times my collection in my teenage years but by my mid twenties had decided this was my thing and as long as i could hide it from everyone, then I wouldn’t need to throw away any more cagoules and i have been collecting ever since. Peter storm is still my favourite brand. I still have my blue jelly jacket with white rope cords, but I can’t seem to find a yellow over the head peter storm like the one i wore first.
Lets get swishy!
Rainworshipper

Post by Rainworshipper »

annabell-cagoule wrote: January 10th, 2022, 11:52 pm For me it was a yellow peter storm cagoule i was forced to wear by my friend next doors mum to wear home to walk down the lane in the rain. It was hung up to dry before returning and by the next day was dry and putting it on to save carrying it on my bike i found the material swishy and actually quite nice. A few days later another friends mum took us all for a walk, she was in a navy blue kway over the head cagoule, it helped that she was lovely and we all liked her as kids and later on when older i had a bit of a crush on her for a while, due to the cagoule i think.
Then the patrick cagoules became fashionable and the jelly jackets around our way were the thing to have as girls and between the two i think my rainwear fetish was cemented. I purged a couple of times my collection in my teenage years but by my mid twenties had decided this was my thing and as long as i could hide it from everyone, then I wouldn’t need to throw away any more cagoules and i have been collecting ever since. Peter storm is still my favourite brand. I still have my blue jelly jacket with white rope cords, but I can’t seem to find a yellow over the head peter storm like the one i wore first.
Yellow Peter Storm cagoules seemed to be far less common than blue or green ones. It would be a good find if one were to turn up in a charity shop or car boot sale, but shiny rainwear of any kind is hard to find secondhand.
annabell-cagoule

Post by annabell-cagoule »

I have one in full zip but not over the head type, i think generally those are harder to find nowadays.

In full zip i have yellow, white, sky blue, navy blue, royal blue, red, green and orange, red white and blue and a neon pink and blue. Although i have some modern over the head Peter storms, i just can’t find any old over the head ones, bar one really old first generation bi nylon long over the head with no zips, just draw cords and a single right side slit pocket. The texture has become quite rubbery inside.
Lets get swishy!
Ilovecagoules

Post by Ilovecagoules »

They all sound amazing! So jealous!
annabell-cagoule wrote: January 12th, 2022, 9:47 pm I have one in full zip but not over the head type, i think generally those are harder to find nowadays.

In full zip i have yellow, white, sky blue, navy blue, royal blue, red, green and orange, red white and blue and a neon pink and blue. Although i have some modern over the head Peter storms, i just can’t find any old over the head ones, bar one really old first generation bi nylon long over the head with no zips, just draw cords and a single right side slit pocket. The texture has become quite rubbery inside.
plasticmacboy

Post by plasticmacboy »

I can remember a boy in my cub scout group having a see-thru blu jelly jacket with white rope cords - he was one of the few boys I ever knew who had one and wore one. Needless to say I made sure I became his friend :)
annabell-cagoule wrote: January 10th, 2022, 11:52 pm Then the patrick cagoules became fashionable and the jelly jackets around our way were the thing to have as girls and between the two i think my rainwear fetish was cemented. I purged a couple of times my collection in my teenage years but by my mid twenties had decided this was my thing and as long as i could hide it from everyone, then I wouldn’t need to throw away any more cagoules and i have been collecting ever since. Peter storm is still my favourite brand. I still have my blue jelly jacket with white rope cords, but I can’t seem to find a yellow over the head peter storm like the one i wore first.
Kaggyfan

Post by Kaggyfan »

Thats kicked off a few memories, my sister had one. See through dark blue with a thick white rope fastener round the hood and bottom trim. It was a thicker plastic than the normal so had a nice crinkly noise. I remember being very envious. Then at age twelve, she had grown out of it and it was passed on to me, 'that will do you when you do your paper round'. Initially forced to wear, then for the next two years, any excuse, I would wear it. Hooded, I was so happy. I just loved the feel. Fifty years later nothing has changed.
wellies4

Post by wellies4 »

Mine was being made to wear my friends mums wellies in my early teens, he had sailing wellies but I didn’t have any, it was really raining outside and they lived in the country and I had to wear wellies. I was so embarrassed for the first five minutes then hooked. Feel free to PM
Rubadubdub

Post by Rubadubdub »

What an interesting subject!
My parents were ski instructors, so I grew up living in the Alps, beautiful but often cold and wet. They had several holiday let chalets, as a nine year old kid, I often helped tidy up between lets. There were often items left behind, and quite commonly coats and jackets left hanging hooked on the back of bedroom doors, overlooked on departure. I had for some reason always been attracted by the look of shiny ski anoraks, quilted and glistening, even better if they had a hood. The day I found my first one hanging there on the door, Mum was cleaning the kitchen, I couldn't resist, I quietly closed the door and unhooked it. So soft and shiny smooth. The black nylon glinted in the semi darkness. I pulled it on, although slightly too big, it seemed to cuddle me, I zipped the front up and pulled on the huge fur trimmed attached hood. I will never forget that momment. I was hooked! I rubbed the soft material and stroked the thick fluffy fur. I was totally smitten by it. My bubble was burst as my mother entered with a 'what do you think you are doing?'. I remember quickly dropping the hood and mumbling some excuse. She seemed ok with it and suggested I keep it safe in case the owners asked for it to be sent on to them. It wasn't. And so started my love of shiny hooded anoraks and macs. For the next few years I collected several more including two yellow and blue hooded rubberised cotton anoraks that were very common in europe in the sixties and seventies. Also a wonderful shiny polyurethane, dark blue padded jacket with a big fur trimmed hood but it had a lovely rubbery smell to it. Would you believe fifty years on I still have it, and still wear it!
Not quite handmedowns more handmeons!
My parents never objected, and encouraged me to wear my 'finds', I guess it saved them having to spend out on outerwear for me!
Happy days. Even now, when I stay in hotels, the first thing I do is check behind the bedroom door. Forever hopeful!!!