Tell me your stories of raincoats that went to the trash

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Meroving

Re: Tell me your stories of raincoats that went to the trash

Post by Meroving »

RS31 wrote: December 20th, 2021, 1:45 pm
Meroving wrote: November 10th, 2021, 6:45 am My first and most beloved green and blue plastic raincoat ended up being badly torn at the hood attachment point by a lot of putting on and taking off over time, so when it was clean up day in my room, I remember my mom just quickly telling me that she put it in the rubbish bag, it's gone. For years, I used to open the wardrobe and look for the raincoat in the same location it was always neatly folded up, hoping that it magically would just appear again, from the landfill.
The other notable memory was a black nylon raincoat I bought in secret as a teenager from my pocket money. I always just quickly stuffed it away all sweaty and wet after wearing it, under my bed, and once mold has overtaken it, there was no saving possible. So I myself learned the hard way to always dry out the rainwear after play.
Did you see your green and blue raincoat at the bottom of the trash can? Did you try to get it back?
So how many of your raincoats ended up in the trash when you were a kid?
I did not see them, they were disposed of when I wasn't there in person, the raincoat was on its way to the landfill.
Basically all of them (had a few after the green and blue coat) eventually, but I cannot recall them as good as the one I mentioned. I was not there when they were disposed, as often my mother would sort of the wardrobe without asking me.
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

I once had an Agu type golf suit in navy blue. I don’t recall what happened to the trousers, but the jacket lasted for years. It used to hang on the coat rail with others in the hallway and I always enjoyed seeing it, knowing that nobody in the family knew what it meant to me except my wife. I would wear it whenever the opportunity arose. Eventually the coating started to peel, but still I kept it for at least another year. Eventually even I had to agree it was beyond saving, so I reluctantly put it in the clothing recycling bag. For a few days I considered retrieving it, but once the bin men came I knew it was gone forever. A sad day.

JM
kyotosd

Post by kyotosd »

Only recently I disposed of a raincoat belonging to my girlfriend, it was a musto nylon style windbreaker in a lovely mint shade, unfortunately it got badly marked over time so it was inevitable it was destined for the bin eventually. I made sure I got some pictures of it before it’s disposal though.
kyotosd

Post by kyotosd »

Only recently I disposed of a raincoat belonging to my girlfriend, it was a musto nylon style windbreaker in a lovely mint shade, unfortunately it got badly marked over time so it was inevitable it was destined for the bin eventually.
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

That would have been a good candidate for the shredder.
bethbennett202

Post by bethbennett202 »

I've kept the raincoats that fell apart on a sweaty day I can't bin pvc
kinkydenn

Post by kinkydenn »

bethbennett202 wrote: January 27th, 2022, 2:09 pm I've kept the raincoats that fell apart on a sweaty day I can't bin pvc
I cant bear to throw mine away either!
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

I guess it would be easier for you if you would be made to wear an item while someone is cutting or ripping it off from you. Or you would be forced to watch how I shred them. You would even be allowed to wear the cute swimsuit during the process until the end - when it's the swimsuit's turn for receiving a final boil and shred.
Would that be a good scenario ?
kinkydenn

Post by kinkydenn »

ilikecoated wrote: January 28th, 2022, 9:03 am I guess it would be easier for you if you would be made to wear an item while someone is cutting or ripping it off from you. Or you would be forced to watch how I shred them. You would even be allowed to wear the cute swimsuit during the process until the end - when it's the swimsuit's turn for receiving a final boil and shred.
Would that be a good scenario ?
Yes, I would enjoy that immensely!
RS31

Post by RS31 »

JellyMan wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 1:29 pm I once had an Agu type golf suit in navy blue. I don’t recall what happened to the trousers, but the jacket lasted for years. It used to hang on the coat rail with others in the hallway and I always enjoyed seeing it, knowing that nobody in the family knew what it meant to me except my wife. I would wear it whenever the opportunity arose. Eventually the coating started to peel, but still I kept it for at least another year. Eventually even I had to agree it was beyond saving, so I reluctantly put it in the clothing recycling bag. For a few days I considered retrieving it, but once the bin men came I knew it was gone forever. A sad day.

JM
I had the same experience as you, except it wasn’t my raincoat, but my little sister’s, a beautiful purple PVC/vinyl trench coat with children’s designs. It stayed on the coat rack for years after my sister stopped wearing it (too small and damaged). I had a lot of fun with him for years. until the day my mother tidied up and threw that coat in the garbage, I tried to save her life, I loved her so much, unfortunately the garbage collectors took her away.

RS