Long black Stutterheim 'Opal' raincoat review

Share your feedback on rainwear that you have or other rainwear related items and services you have made use of.
mason

Long black Stutterheim 'Opal' raincoat review

Post by mason »

My shiny black Stutterheim Opal raincoat, which I ordered a couple of weeks ago, finally arrived today. I wasn't over-impressed with the speed of delivery, which took two weeks (FarmerRain does it in 5 days), or the packaging. To prevent my my expensive purchase from developing creases whilst folded for transport, they'd folded my rainwear twice and sent it in a very large & awkwardly shaped FLAT package. One end was actually sticking out upon arrival, but thankfully it was quite undamaged.

Shipping issues aside, I must say that I love my new raincoat. It was even more shiny and slippery smooth than I thought it would be. The material has a very nice 'Opalo' feel to it as well. The quality of manufacture was also very obvious as well; and so it should be for a $400 raincoat (I had an introductory discount to $320 for me). Every seam is strongly welded and it won't come apart easily, if at all.

I ordered an XL size and it was a perfect fit. Stutterheim uses press studs like most manufacturers, and they pop into place with a nice firmness. There's 3 of them at the collar and another 5 poppers below. Eight in all. The one thing which surprised me the most was the length. It's a LONG raincoat. I'm 5'7" tall and the bottom hem sat only 5 or so inches above the ground. The pockets are somewhat ovoid in shape and the inside is unlined PVC. Putting my hands inside them is heaven!

Although it's nominally a woman's coat, it's got a nice unisex look. It does flare outwards in a 'swing' style, but it's not that noticeable once done up. I wore it out on a very cold early evening and the few other pedestrians whom I encountered outside paid me no attention at all. I think I could get away with wearing this anywhere, as long as it's obviously cold & cloudy and/or rainy.

The sixty-four-dollar question: what's it like in the rain? I havent tested it in the wet stuff yet, but I have no doubt that it'll do the job in anything short of a cloudburst or typhoon. The slightly retro hood doesn't have a peak, like the FarmerRain ones do, but it fastens tightly with a pair of long laces and that's a Good Thing.

All in all, I'm very happy with it so far. I would have liked it to come with an attached belt, but it's the only niggle I have with it. If you haven't got one yet, I thoroughly recommend buying one or even two of these awesome numbers for yourself and/or your partner.
spitfire617

Re: Long black Stutterheim 'Opal' raincoat review

Post by spitfire617 »

Is that the one with the big logo on the back of it?
mason

Post by mason »

spitfire617 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 10:55 am Is that the one with the big logo on the back of it?
Yup, thats the one. It actually doesn't look as big as it does in the adverts. I can't see the logo whilst wearing it.
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

mason wrote: June 5th, 2021, 10:52 am
spitfire617 wrote: June 4th, 2021, 10:55 am Is that the one with the big logo on the back of it?
Yup, thats the one. It actually doesn't look as big as it does in the adverts. I can't see the logo whilst wearing it.
Lol lol! True!
Yes the logo did look big in the photos.
Bill_P

Post by Bill_P »

Well I do have the short black Opal already, and I was really interested in a long one, in some of the new colors they are offering, but alas, they are not currently offering them in my size (XXL) 😢