Thoughts on this one please peeps.

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
BobbyValore

Re: Thoughts on this one please peeps.

Post by BobbyValore »

Although I already said I thought it was a leather coat and there seems to be consensus on that already, let me make a bit more of a case anyways.

The picture below shows 2 women: the left is wearing a leather coat and the right an SBR coat.

You will notice the materials resemble each other a lot, with the main differentiating feature being the small "wrinkles" on the leather coat. The coat used here is possibly pretty old already and has been worn a lot, a newer coat will have much less visible wrinkles.

In the clip the coat used looks most like the SBR coat, but I still think it is made out of leather for the following reasons:
1. for a movie they probably have some relatively new coats available so it will look smoother than the leather one shown above in the picture (clothing for movies are stored in warehouses for when they need them, it is not like they are worn daily)
2. for the movie they probably give the coat a good polishing first as it is an indoor setting and the lady wearing the coat must look perfect
3. getting a real SBR coat is not impossible but i doubt the film makers (and the wardrobe people) had such an eye for detail they would go out of their way to find one. In most WW2 related movies the Germans often wear regular leather coats: having her wear one conveys the image they want to convey so there is no need to search for a special coat made out of a special material that looks only slightly different.
4. an SBR coat would show more reflection under studio lights. While the coat did look polished and smooth in the clip, it never really reflected the light like I would expect an SBR coat would. Keep in mind they have probably a complete light rig hanging there as it is a professional movie, if there is anything lights can reflex off they would.
rothbhoy

Re: Thoughts on this one please peeps.

Post by rothbhoy »

BobbyValore wrote: October 12th, 2020, 9:42 am Although I already said I thought it was a leather coat and there seems to be consensus on that already, let me make a bit more of a case anyways.

The picture below shows 2 women: the left is wearing a leather coat and the right an SBR coat.

You will notice the materials resemble each other a lot, with the main differentiating feature being the small "wrinkles" on the leather coat. The coat used here is possibly pretty old already and has been worn a lot, a newer coat will have much less visible wrinkles.

In the clip the coat used looks most like the SBR coat, but I still think it is made out of leather for the following reasons:
1. for a movie they probably have some relatively new coats available so it will look smoother than the leather one shown above in the picture (clothing for movies are stored in warehouses for when they need them, it is not like they are worn daily)
2. for the movie they probably give the coat a good polishing first as it is an indoor setting and the lady wearing the coat must look perfect
3. getting a real SBR coat is not impossible but i doubt the film makers (and the wardrobe people) had such an eye for detail they would go out of their way to find one. In most WW2 related movies the Germans often wear regular leather coats: having her wear one conveys the image they want to convey so there is no need to search for a special coat made out of a special material that looks only slightly different.
4. an SBR coat would show more reflection under studio lights. While the coat did look polished and smooth in the clip, it never really reflected the light like I would expect an SBR coat would. Keep in mind they have probably a complete light rig hanging there as it is a professional movie, if there is anything lights can reflex off they would.
Hi Bobby, Excellent points. Point 3 hits the nail firmly on the head and I agree wholeheartedly with what you say. I just couldn't imagine that the film makers would have gone out of their way to find an SBR mac - most of them would not have known what one was to be honest.