Black PVC and Oilskins

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
plasticpacamac

Re: Black PVC and Oilskins

Post by plasticpacamac »

Being now well into my eighties I am old enough to recall and indeed to have worn a yellow oilskin cycle cape as the first one I owned age about 13. I can recall the characteristic oily smell and the way the material felt when worn; the matching souwester made from the same material too. When I was about 16 these were replaced by ones in yellow PVC, still fun to wear but lacking that heady aroma. I remember the khaki shorts and shirts I wore for these weekend cycle outings absorbed this smell so I could enjoy the heady aroma on my clothes even when I had taken off my cycle cape and souwester. I cant remember why they needed replacing after such a relatively short time, but they were. Happy memories!
JoPVC

Re: Black PVC and Oilskins

Post by JoPVC »

Blackvinyl wrote: April 16th, 2024, 11:30 pm Hi. I am a great fan of the slightly thicker pvc or vinyl. I like the way it feels. Recently the manufacturers have got it right, being much softer, smoother, shinier. I have never really come across oilskin, but it 'sounds' intriguing! I imagine, quite thick, slippery and shiny. It would be nice to see these materials back in high street fashion again. Fingers crossed.
Bonjour. Il n'a pas besoin de mode. Il faut juste que les autres nous laissent apprécier les vêtements que l'on aime sans pour autant nous critiquer ! Moi je pars du principe que les gens portent les vêtements qu'ils veulent en toute liberté.
C'est sûr que si je vois une personne revêtue d'un bel imperméable en pvc brillant, je ne vais pas pouvoir détourner mon regard !