Childhood Rainwear Jealousy

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Gordo

Re: Childhood Rainwear Jealousy

Post by Gordo »

mousepaws wrote: May 17th, 2023, 8:03 am Yes yes yes! So much of this. SO MUCH of this. I remember many cartoon character raincoats, and US sports team raincoats. I wanted them ALL, even the girly ones. Some of them I remember were shiny Ninja Turtles raincoats. Batman, Care Bears, Anaheim Ducks, Disney, Looney Tunes,.,. just,.,. everything really . All shiny, all un-lined PVC.
I remember those. The three raincoats I had as a kid were the same especially the first one I had. What I wanted was rain pants in the the same style to go with them, similar to how I had snow pants with my winter coat.
black_shiny

Post by black_shiny »

mousepaws wrote: May 17th, 2023, 8:03 am Yes yes yes! So much of this. SO MUCH of this. I remember many cartoon character raincoats, and US sports team raincoats. I wanted them ALL, even the girly ones. Some of them I remember were shiny Ninja Turtles raincoats. Batman, Care Bears, Anaheim Ducks, Disney, Looney Tunes,.,. just,.,. everything really . All shiny, all un-lined PVC.
Yesss, back when you'd find pvc raincoats everywhere and most of us had one growing up. 80s 90s
Andyf08

Post by Andyf08 »

black_shiny wrote: May 19th, 2023, 4:36 pm
Yesss, back when you'd find pvc raincoats everywhere and most of us had one growing up. 80s 90s
I would have done anything for a pvc coat back in the 80's and 90's.
shinyphile

Post by shinyphile »

chris227 wrote: April 26th, 2023, 1:03 am Most of us have had this fun affliction since as far back as we can remember. Does anyone else remember feeling intense envy and jealousy over other kids that had rainwear that you wished you had. I often fantasized about stealing raincoats from the classroom when nobody was looking, though I never did.
Going back to the initial question, I can’t say that I did until wishing I had some of the PVC adult sized jackets ( Misty Harbor especially ) I would see in my college years. I can’t recall as a child wishing for notably child style bold jackets.

I was fortunate in the 70s/80s to have one or two dark navy blue pvc jackets as a child with (one pair leaky) rain boots. I never cared then for the bright ones back then.

Now I did think the one shiny (but not glossy pvc) nylon puffa vest one student had neat at the time but it was for me good to look at but not own/have.
Indian_PVC29

Post by Indian_PVC29 »

I was never really jealous but attracted to teachers and the girls at my school who wore PVC raincoats to school especially this one girl whom I liked very much because she had this lovely chocolate brown raincoat which she wore even if it was slightly overcast on the way to school I used to admire her never really had the balls to talk to her! But I always fantasized about sniffing her sweaty raincoat and rubbing it over my face if I had the chance.
mrbassman101

Post by mrbassman101 »

My parents ran hotels in the early 60's and I went to a private school in Sunderland . I likes to spend time in the cloakroom looking at all the varied rainwear that all the boys and girls had . Plenty of gabardine raincoats , a few yellow slickers and the odd rubber mackintosh. All very nice but there was one mackintosh that was special.
It belonged to a girl named Gwen Jopling it was maroon and long with a big boxy hood with long tapes for tying . It also had a cool smooth rubber lining pale blue with dark blue and pink stripes. Very special indeed . Gwen's parents owned a Department Store in the town named Joplings which is obviously where her mac had come from . I loved that mac for it's lovely swishy fabric and the wonderful aroma that it had .
I never dared to try it on although I really wanted to , and I have never seen another like it . If I had been older I could have visited her parent's store and explored the Rainwear Department but I believe I was around 7 or 8 years old at the time .
Sadly my family moved down to Yorkshire a few years later but I have never forgotten Gwen and her wonderful Mackintosh. I often wondered if it could have been a hand me down from one of her older sisters as I have heard of these checkered linings but only ever saw this one .
Does anyone have any thoughts on Gwen's Mackintosh ?
GlendaS

Post by GlendaS »

I used to deliberately be sent out of the classroom for being naughty back in the 60,s so i could go the cloakroom and put on and smell the lovely PVC mac worn by this girl called Kay. It was lovely calf length bright shiny red PVC mac. I was not jealous, just envious that i didnt have one the same and that also i wanted be her and why cant i be a girl and wear nice macs.
annabell-cagoule

Post by annabell-cagoule »

There was a girl in my school the year above me wore a red peter storm everyday to school. It had obviously seen some wear as she wore it every day for years. She was the spitting image of Alyson Hannigan the actress from buffy the vampire sleigher and i had a bit of a girly crush on her due to her cagouleS being the year below we obviously weren’t cool enough to chat to the girls above us but I did say hi and tried to make friends with her, to no avail. Another girl in my year, sadie, wore a black white and grey patrick cagoule often as they became fashionable. I managed to try it on once after asking her where she got it and could i try it on as I wanted one but wasn’t sure on size. I was in heaven!!! Now have 2 red peter storm zip up original cagoules but yet to get one of the patrick reiaaues, they aren’t shiny inside like the old ones were.
Lets get swishy!