My first sbr mackintosh

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
spitfire188

My first sbr mackintosh

Post by spitfire188 »

What's it like to wear sbr rainwear for the first time out and about?
mason

Re: My first sbr mackintosh

Post by mason »

I've been lucky enough to find some really nice vintage SBR macks in various opportunity (charity) shops here and I absolutely love wearing them!

They're so solid and heavy, like nothing else I've ever worn. The rubbery smell is also quite divine.

I use baby oil to polish the rubber, and it also helps keep everything soft and smooth.
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

mason wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:08 am I've been lucky enough to find some really nice vintage SBR macks in various opportunity (charity) shops here and I absolutely love wearing them!

They're so solid and heavy, like nothing else I've ever worn. The rubbery smell is also quite divine.

I use baby oil to polish the rubber, and it also helps keep everything soft and smooth.
Doesn't baby oil degrade them??
spitfire188

Post by spitfire188 »

mason wrote: May 17th, 2023, 11:08 am I've been lucky enough to find some really nice vintage SBR macks in various opportunity (charity) shops here and I absolutely love wearing them!

What chairty shop do you find your mackintosh from?
mason

Post by mason »

Regarding the baby oil, I have no idea regarding rubber. In America, it is petroleum based, but that's not the case in Australia for some reason

It certainly seems to help the shine though.

Melbourne has hundreds of charity shops, but I only find these rubber raincoats maybe once every 4 or 5 years. The last one I picked up was very late last year at a big Salvos store. It cost me about $60. eBay retail, maybe $500-700.