AI generated rainwear images

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
merv

Re: AI generated rainwear images

Post by merv »

I suppose the big question is: what is decption? Photoshop can be helpful bt does it then deceive? Case in question. When my dad died I did the Order of Service booklets as that is my line of work. The best photo we found had a stain on his jumper so I photoshopped it off so his jumper was clean. I suppose that is deception but is it an acceptable one?
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

I would class that as not deception but being respectful. To me an image that is 100% fake is deception unless clearly stated what it is. You could argue that even AI images are based on a collective truth of all the many images it uses to create its output so it comes down to deception of the main subject. Your father’s jumper was not the main character in the image. Touching up a model with Photoshop is deception but if the model is not the main focus but the PVC dress she wears (I can dream) because it is catalogue work then not so much.

However you look at it the majority of photographed works will be generated by AI because it is a cheap and no troublesome photographer claiming copyright. Maybe it will be like much where a few bars can be considered as copyright theft and who is agreeing to all the images being used as source material for the AI systems?

Cherie x
SanneRWP

Post by SanneRWP »

-
Last edited by SanneRWP on July 10th, 2023, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cherie

Post by Cherie »

I wonder how easy it will be for people to see their own artwork reproduced in part by AI systems? If someone has a very distinctive image of say a raincoat and an AI system uses it as a basis for a generated image how will they work out if the original picture was part of the training? As you say it will be up to the courts.

Cherie
RCS111

Post by RCS111 »

Lots of ethical implications in AI covered here. Interesting. I’ve recently enjoyed making all kinds of AI rainwear imagery - myself and it seems a number of others are now regularly posting on Instagram, Deviantart, et al.

For me, the biggest quandary has come from the occasionally unpredictable nature of what the AI spits out when iterating. I’ve gotten to a point where I’m pretty good at wrangling it on details, but a prompt for say, a “young woman” wearing rainwear will, every so often, come out TOO young… which gets deleted straight away, but begs the question: could people use it to propagate unsavoury content? Yup. And just because it’s not real, doesn’t make it ok…
Rubbersocks1999

Post by Rubbersocks1999 »

The big question. If it is generated by a stand alone AI, on your computer. Is it illegal, if you share it. Or will the producer of the AI program be responsible, as it must have found reference work on the internet. The courts will have a fun time with that.