My latest purchase

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Taffmac

My latest purchase

Post by Taffmac »

My wife and I took a short break in Paignton (UK) this weekend. On arrival at the hotel my wife decided she needed a couple of things from the shops. As it was raining I put on my see-through plastic jacket, a Jeantex Frank and we ventured out. Walking along I spotted a stand which seemed to have some plastic macs on it. As the shop was on the other side of the road I couldn't tell what they were like apart from the fact that some were pink and some were blue and they seemed to have a metallic finish; there were long macs and some shorter ones which were either jackets or children's size.

Later on, my wife decided to take a rest in the hotel room which gave me an excuse to get out and investigate the macs. On arrival at the shop it turned out to be a shop selling Chinese souvenirs named the Wishing Well. The macs were slightly see-through and more shiny than metallic as they appeared from a distance earlier and they felt quite thick. Also, the buttons did up the "men's way"; Hurrah !!!!!!! I then walked around the town wondering whether I should buy one or not.

OK, I made up my mind that I would buy one; opportunities like this arise very rarely. On my way back to the shop I met my sister-in-law who was waiting for her husband. Oh no, that's blown it, I thought. But no, I decided to take a chance and went into the shop where a Chinese lady greeted me.I asked her if the plastic macs were sold in different sizes but she didn't seem to understand and asked me to point out what I wanted so I had to go outside and point out the mac that I wanted, a long blue one. All the time I am praying that my sister in law and her husband do not see me buying a plastic mac. It was a bit like the scene in the film "Love Actually" where he is buying a present for his employee without his wife catching him. She asked me if I wanted to buy one and I said yes and she said that she would get one in a packet and went into the stockroom at the back of the shop. She seemed to be ages spilling boxes of souvenirs as she reached for the raincoat. I thought that I was bound to be caught in the act; what excuse do I make ? She then produced two packets which both turned out to be child sizes. She then decided to take one from the display outside. Oh no, if my sister-in-law passes now I'm in trouble. On her return she gets a carrier bag which she has difficulty opening which seemed to take for ever. I have to tell her that I will just put it in my backpack, which I did. I paid her the £9 for the mac and eventually got out of the shop without being discovered.

Later, when I tried the mac on it turned out to be a very good fit; one-size-fits-all are usually miles too big. The plastic is quite thick but very soft and feels nice against bare skin. As I said, it is slightly see-through and quite shiny. Two things I didn't expect; firstly it is the type of mac that has a button-down flap at the back which can be unbuttoned to accommodate a backpack (handy) but perhaps the strangest thing was that instead of having drawstrings in the hood it has section around the front of the hood which can be inflated like an inflatable swimming aid. Oh yes, it doesn't have any pockets.

Despite being stressful, I am more than happy with my purchase and I'm sure it will get a lot of use.
Susihough

Re: My latest purchase

Post by Susihough »

Taffmac what a great experience although a bit nervy hahaha. Definitely a lucky find and the Mac sounds fantastic. Have had a chance to wear it out? Perhaps you should have got a pink one as well as a present for your wife (wink wink).
Do you know the make of the Mac, as it does sound fantastic and would like to get one..
Susi
Taffmac

Post by Taffmac »

Susihough wrote: June 26th, 2022, 3:39 pm Taffmac what a great experience although a bit nervy hahaha. Definitely a lucky find and the Mac sounds fantastic. Have had a chance to wear it out? Perhaps you should have got a pink one as well as a present for your wife (wink wink).
Do you know the make of the Mac, as it does sound fantastic and would like to get one..
Susi
Hi Susi, A lucky find indeed, imagine the embarrassment if my sister-in-law had caught me buying the mac. I was the only one in the shop so it would have been obvious what I was up to.

No, I haven't had a chance to wear it out yet. I only bought it yesterday. I hope to give it an airing outdoors as soon as possible.It really is a nice mac, well made and quite robust; it should last a while. Unfortunately, I don't know the make as there is no label inside and the lady sold me one without the packaging.

As for buying a pink one for my wife, I'm afraid my wife stopped indulging in my fetish a long time ago. It would annoy her if she knew that I had bought yet another plastic mac for my collection. Anyway, if you are ever in the Torbay area, the address is 54, Torbay Road, Paignton, next to Wetherspoons.

Regards,
Jeff.
Taurus

Post by Taurus »

Taffmac, do you have pictures of this mac? The inflatable section in front of the hood sounds interesting! I am sure this must be a great experience.
Taffmac

Post by Taffmac »

Taurus wrote: June 26th, 2022, 5:53 pm Taffmac, do you have pictures of this mac? The inflatable section in front of the hood sounds interesting! I am sure this must be a great experience.
I'm sorry, I don't have any pictures of the mac. I must try to add photos, I have quite a lot that I would like to share.

I'm not sure if I described the inflatable part correctly. It doesn't cover the face if that's what you are thinking. It's just the part that would have held the drawstring that is inflatable.
Steve83

Post by Steve83 »

What a great description I now that feeling of thinking what will someone say if they see me buying this hahah
Taurus

Post by Taurus »

I know what you mean Taffmac. Just the brim of the hood is inflatable. I have seen something similar online but they were childrens raincoats only. I didn't know they were available in adult sizes too.
Taffmac

Post by Taffmac »

Taurus wrote: June 27th, 2022, 5:43 pm I know what you mean Taffmac. Just the brim of the hood is inflatable. I have seen something similar online but they were children's raincoats only. I didn't know they were available in adult sizes too.
The two packets which she brought from the storeroom turned out to be children's macs as they had sort of fantasy characters printed on them. On realising that they were for children she put them aside and went outside to get me an adult size.
raincoat42069

Post by raincoat42069 »

wow that is a nice find, do you have pictures of the raincoat.
latexloo

Post by latexloo »

I am going to Paignton next month, where abouts in the town is this shop please?