Plastic raincoat

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Raincoatlove

Plastic raincoat

Post by Raincoatlove »

Greetings; I've been speaking with pvc u like regarding a personalized raincoat. I like the semi transparent material but not the thick stuff. They have a 120 and a 170 weight and the 120 weight is not recommended for raincoats. That's the weight I'm leaning towards. Anyone on the forum have experience with that weight. I appreciate response. Thanks
JellyMan

Re: Plastic raincoat

Post by JellyMan »

120 is definitely too thin unless you like the material very light. I buy 200 which is good but I still find it a bit thin (only because I had a 280 from years ago and I loved that mack so much). 170 sounds great if you like it light, but I’d go 200.

Trouble is it is very personal choice.

JM
rubgum

Post by rubgum »

Just buy a raincoat 170 .
If you don't feel comfortable with that, you should
urge pvc u like to make you a 120, without struggling :lol:
Raincoatlove

Post by Raincoatlove »

Thanks for the feedback rubgum. I had a 170 weight raincoat before but thought it just a bit rubbery and a little bit heavy but will probably order again. Is that 120 so thin that it would tear, or just what is the problem with that weight. I want to find semi transparent material that's just like the old 50s raincoats, garment bags and shower curtains. You know the smooth good stuff that's no longer made. Anyway please respond.
rubgum

Post by rubgum »

Yes, the fear of tearing it, should be the reason for no recommendation.
I always take care while opening or closing press-studs .
If you don`t need press-studs and pvc u like has the ultra thin 120, they should
make a made to measure raincoat for you. But would the feeling be the same
you felt with your 50s coat, I don`t know ?
I have several coats from pvc u like with around 200, and every single
coat feels different, some are very smooth (milky or semi see-through) whilst others are a bit
sticky (glass clear or very shiny), but won`t miss a single.
Whatever it takes, hope your dream come true with 120 . :)
Raincoatlove

Post by Raincoatlove »

Thankyou again Rubgum. Since PVC U LIKE is recommending the 120 weight not be used for coats I'm leaning to the BLT7 color. It's a shiny transparent light blue plastic in a 170 weight. I also found a GRT5 color, transparent green, in a 150 weight so that would be lighter material. It is described as a medical grade pvc and I am confused on what that is. Could it be stiff but lighter than 170? What's your take? I asked for some info and if it would be the perfect material for me. Cheers
rubgum

Post by rubgum »

I would go for the GRTS.
Don't think the "medical" 150 is more stiff .
Can you post an URL of both coats, would be helpful .
If you order both coats, ask PVC U LIKE if they accept returning one of them, if not used.
Good luck ;)
Raincoatlove

Post by Raincoatlove »

Rubgum; I don't want a stiff raincoat, just a lighter fabric, micron 150. I'd want the plastic to be as soft and pliable as the 170. Right now I don't think I can place an order as I was banned a few years ago when a coat they made was incorrect and I was told I couldn't order any more. I'd like to be able to order again.
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

Raincoatlove wrote: June 24th, 2022, 7:35 pm Rubgum; I don't want a stiff raincoat, just a lighter fabric, micron 150. I'd want the plastic to be as soft and pliable as the 170. Right now I don't think I can place an order as I was banned a few years ago when a coat they made was incorrect and I was told I couldn't order any more. I'd like to be able to order again.
Hang on a minute. So you were the customer and they banned you from ordering more? What on earth went so wrong for that to happen? I can imagine someone saying they won’t buy from somewhere after a bad experience, but never the other way around.

JM
Raincoatlove

Post by Raincoatlove »

That's exactly what happened. I ordered a raincoat in the nat 4 120 micron. PUL did say that the material wasn't good for coats but I had a sample and it felt ok to me. The coat arrived but it was very much heavier than 120 micron. I told PUL about it, they told me to keep the coat and refunded me and then said I could order no longer. I just sent an email to them requesting they allow me to order again.