Can anyone please find…

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
JellyMan

Can anyone please find…

Post by JellyMan »

I’m not great at finding things on the Internet. I often stumble across things and share them, but if I am looking for something specific I can never seem to find it. So I am hoping some members might be more adept than me….

In the 1970’s there was a fashion in the UK for girls to wear nylon blouson jackets. Unlined, often in dark blue, quite shiny. Elasticated cuffs and waist with a zip. Sometimes with one or two strips down one or both arms. Some had translucent white nylon sleeves to complement the blue body. I remember having a thing for girls at school in those jackets, but once the fad went they seemed to disappear as quickly as they arrived. Does anyone else remember them, or know where I can find some images (or even better video) to go down old memory lane. One girl in my class seemed to get away with wearing hers all day long, in class and outside, when everyone else was told coats were not allowed inside.

JM
Rubbersocks1999

Re: Can anyone please find…

Post by Rubbersocks1999 »

They were a fad for about 18 months. Popular with school kids. Then fashion moved on, and they disappeared. As it was mostly schoolkids, parents did not take any pictures. As the jackets were only worn out with your friends.
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

Rubbersocks1999 wrote: May 24th, 2022, 8:53 pm They were a fad for about 18 months. Popular with school kids. Then fashion moved on, and they disappeared. As it was mostly schoolkids, parents did not take any pictures. As the jackets were only worn out with your friends.
At least somebody else remembers them, thanks Rubbersocks for confirming that it wasn’t all in my imagination. I did find a video online once of of a German woman, in the first half she is vacuuming with an upright hoover wearing only knickers and a red see-through plastic mack, then in the second part she is wearing a jacket similar (but not quite the same) as the ones at school. But I have never been able to find it again. I think I shall write to the BBC and suggest they commission a new series entitled “The Rainwear Hunters”…

Episode 1: hosted by Sara Pascoe wearing tight leather trousers and shiny PVC mack. James from London has written in with a sob story about how he has been unable to sleep properly for 30 years because his mother threw out his favourite pacamac as a child, which he used to cuddle at night to help him nod off. James is pleading for the PVC, latex and nylon clad research team, and Sara, to help locate an identical raincoat so that he may find peace a night once again. The programme will need shots of the team scouring through old charity shops, and to build the tension, they would have to deliberately find items that were not right, put them on and parade in front of James, asking, “was it like this?”. There would be a cut-scene to a mini-story on the history of the pacamac of course.

Episode 2: Lucy from Stains pleads with the team to help her find a clear plastic two-piece equestrian rain suit suit that she used to wear naked when she rode her favourite pony in private and loved the feel of the hard saddle pressing the soft material into her….. “CUT! No, no, no, this is the BBC, we can’t do filth like that, tell Lucy to speak to channel 4 about a spot on their new show Naked Raincoat Attraction”.

JM
Ilovecagoules

Post by Ilovecagoules »

JellyMan wrote: May 25th, 2022, 6:02 am
Rubbersocks1999 wrote: May 24th, 2022, 8:53 pm They were a fad for about 18 months. Popular with school kids. Then fashion moved on, and they disappeared. As it was mostly schoolkids, parents did not take any pictures. As the jackets were only worn out with your friends.
At least somebody else remembers them, thanks Rubbersocks for confirming that it wasn’t all in my imagination. I did find a video online once of of a German woman, in the first half she is vacuuming with an upright hoover wearing only knickers and a red see-through plastic mack, then in the second part she is wearing a jacket similar (but not quite the same) as the ones at school. But I have never been able to find it again. I think I shall write to the BBC and suggest they commission a new series entitled “The Rainwear Hunters”…

Episode 1: hosted by Sara Pascoe wearing tight leather trousers and shiny PVC mack. James from London has written in with a sob story about how he has been unable to sleep properly for 30 years because his mother threw out his favourite pacamac as a child, which he used to cuddle at night to help him nod off. James is pleading for the PVC, latex and nylon clad research team, and Sara, to help locate an identical raincoat so that he may find peace a night once again. The programme will need shots of the team scouring through old charity shops, and to build the tension, they would have to deliberately find items that were not right, put them on and parade in front of James, asking, “was it like this?”. There would be a cut-scene to a mini-story on the history of the pacamac of course.

Episode 2: Lucy from Stains pleads with the team to help her find a clear plastic two-piece equestrian rain suit suit that she used to wear naked when she rode her favourite pony in private and loved the feel of the hard saddle pressing the soft material into her….. “CUT! No, no, no, this is the BBC, we can’t do filth like that, tell Lucy to speak to channel 4 about a spot on their new show Naked Raincoat Attraction”.

JM
I'd watch. Anna Richardson in a different nylon cagoule each week. Mmmm.
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

That’s episode six. The celebrity edition where Sara Pascoe is joined by Anna as a co-presenter, and both wearing PVC and nylon, they can’t help keep touching each other as they are forced to try on cagoule after cagoule in the hunt for the elusive original Peter Storm requested by Sam, who remembers being loaned one on holiday in Wales when he forgot his raincoat. The cagoule belonged to a very pretty girl who was holidaying in the caravan next to theirs. Sam fell in love with her when he saw her out in the rain with the cagoule on and hood up splashing in puddles in pink wellies. He didn’t tell the presenters what he used to do to the cagoule at night; not suitable for BBC viewers. And he nearly died and went to heaven when the girl turned up in a brand new red cagoule the next morning and suggested they went down to the beach together to check out the rock pools. Sam wants to find a replacement cagoule to return to the girl who became his wife on their 21st wedding anniversary.

JM
Ilovecagoules

Post by Ilovecagoules »

Got the images in my head. I may be some time...
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

Episode 3: This was the controversial one where Sara Pascoe was caught off camera arguing with one of the producers when she was told that this week she had to present the whole show in a plastic sauna suit, but wanted to keep on the Regatta nylon over trousers and cagoule she was already wearing. In the end they compromised and she wore the shiny black suit with the cagoule over the top. In the episode Millie recounts seeing Philippa at the gym dressed in a something she had never seen before. They got chatting and she discovered it was supposed to be for losing weight, but Philippa confessed that she got a lot more attention from fellow gym members when dressed that way. There is a scene later on when Sara is on a rowing machine getting very hot in her suit, and is heard to say, “what the fuck has this got to do with hunting for raincoats?” The episode never aired and was replaced that week by the old 1970’s sitcom The Good Life - which just happened to be the episode where Margo ends up in a yellow rain suit helping harvest potatoes in the mud!
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

Ah an found it! Well I think so (read my original post at the top if you have lost the thread of what is going on)…

In Fawlty Towers episode 2, “The Builders”, Cybil (Basil’s wife) wears a jacket very similar to the sort I am talking about…

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jCzCqBDvxls/ ... ers-46.jpg

Now, around that time in the 1970’s some companies produced jackets that looked identical from a distance, and if anything, the surface was slightly shinier than the nylon ones. But they were made of a kind of cotton made to look shiny (I think the technical name was cire). Anyway, these looked fabulous but were hugely disappointing to the touch as the feel was like a tee shirt, not a raincoat. So I watched the sitcom episode over and over (forced to do so of course 😊) to determine which type Cybil is wearing. Anyway, from the way it moves I would definitely say it is the non-nylon type, but the overall look and style is pretty much spot on.

JM
Ilovecagoules

Post by Ilovecagoules »

JellyMan wrote: May 28th, 2022, 6:40 am Episode 3: This was the controversial one where Sara Pascoe was caught off camera arguing with one of the producers when she was told that this week she had to present the whole show in a plastic sauna suit, but wanted to keep on the Regatta nylon over trousers and cagoule she was already wearing. In the end they compromised and she wore the shiny black suit with the cagoule over the top. In the episode Millie recounts seeing Philippa at the gym dressed in a something she had never seen before. They got chatting and she discovered it was supposed to be for losing weight, but Philippa confessed that she got a lot more attention from fellow gym members when dressed that way. There is a scene later on when Sara is on a rowing machine getting very hot in her suit, and is heard to say, “what the fuck has this got to do with hunting for raincoats?” The episode never aired and was replaced that week by the old 1970’s sitcom The Good Life - which just happened to be the episode where Margo ends up in a yellow rain suit helping harvest potatoes in the mud!
Has anyone got the number of the head of programming at Channel 4?
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

“Mr. Harris, I really think we should here the man out. I ran some numbers and he is right, for some inexplicable reason, programmes featuring shiny rainwear always get better ratings than those that don’t. It would seem that he is right, bellow the dull exterior, most people in the UK are secretly into plastic, PVC, rubber and shiny nylon; the PowerPoint slides don’t lie”, the young TV executive explained.
“Poppycock! I like to think of myself as experimental in the bedroom and have never had the desire to have sex in a raincoat”, replied the head of light entertainment.
“Are you sure Angela, I mean, er, sorry, Mrs Harris would not like you to take her while she is dressed in a shiny raincoat? Only last week I saw her pick you up from work in a long red PVC mack and black patent boots”, the executive knew was skating on thin ice, but that she was on to something.
“Let’s get this straight, the format is just like Naked Attraction, but they get to wear a sou-wester?”, Phil Harris replied.
“Er, well, sort of”, the woman fumbled, then composed herself, “whatever the main person wants, so maybe Bill from Scotland wants to meet men in beige PVC trench coats, so that is what the contestants have to acquire and wear. Of course they get naked later, we need some nudity”.
“So the contestants have to source the rainwear item that they think the person wants them to wear, and it becomes a battle to be chosen based on rainwear choice, looks, and probably having really big dick?”
“Exactly!”, there was relief in her voice that the executive seemed to be warming to the idea so she continued, “we have literally hundreds of people writing in with their requests, look”, she clicked the mouse and an email popped up on the big screen, “I’m Sophie from Bristol and I would like to appear on your programme. I would love to see fit men wearing heavy oilskins and rubber boots”.
She clicked again, “My name is Tom and I’d love to see bigger girls in see through plastic macks on your programme”.
“And what does the requester have to do after selecting someone wearing what they want?”, asked Mr.Harris.
“That’s the good bit”, she said with glee, “for the final reveal they have to wear whatever the contestant that they have chosen has bought in for them. And when they go on their date they must both wear the chosen items, with clothes on as well obviously”.
“I’m in. Get a pilot commissioned”.

JM