Lacking in confidence, rainwear in indoor public spaces

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast

Re: Lacking in confidence, rainwear in indoor public spaces

Post by Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast »

I've worn glass clear, glass clear colured, and shiny black PVC raincoats both outdoors and indoors, when weather is appropriate. I've had nothing but compliments. On one rainy day, in the middle of the dystopian social distancing rigmarole of 2021, I was in the long queue outside the supermarket. It was raining moderately but steadily. Everyone else had umbrellas or matt yellow Goretex-type coats, but I was wearing my shiny black PVC mac. One woman approached and asked: "Excuse me, where did you get your shiny black mac from? It's so shiny!". On another occasion, I was inside Sainsbury's wearing my glass clear green mac (obviously, the weather outside was appropriate). A woman in the queue smiled and remarked: "I like your 'big mac'!". On another occasion, a shop worker serving me casually remarked: "Is it raining heavily outside?"

I roll-up tightly a glass clear PVC plastic rainmac, stuff it in my rucksack, and take it with me on my regular 10 mile long commute on bicycle, or when I walk the dogs. If the skies suddenly open up and a torrential shower ensues, I simply stop cycling, get my mac out of my rucksack, unroll it, put it on and continue my cycle journey. I love that 'rustling' noise the glass clear mac makes when it is unrolled! It could be a Monsoon-like downpour, but I'd be loving every bit of it, as the mac keeps me bone-dry. No fellow cyclists or dog walkers have batted an eyelid at my appropriate choice of rainwear. I get the usual smiles and "Hello" or "Morning!" greetings from fellow cyclists, dog walkers and joggers.
Rainworshipper

Post by Rainworshipper »

Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast wrote: May 18th, 2022, 3:48 pm

I roll-up tightly a glass clear PVC plastic rainmac, stuff it in my rucksack, and take it with me on my regular 10 mile long commute on bicycle, or when I walk the dogs. If the skies suddenly open up and a torrential shower ensues, I simply stop cycling, get my mac out of my rucksack, unroll it, put it on and continue my cycle journey. I love that 'rustling' noise the glass clear mac makes when it is unrolled! It could be a Monsoon-like downpour, but I'd be loving every bit of it, as the mac keeps me bone-dry. No fellow cyclists or dog walkers have batted an eyelid at my appropriate choice of rainwear. I get the usual smiles and "Hello" or "Morning!" greetings from fellow cyclists, dog walkers and joggers.
The same for me, if I go for a bike ride and there is any chance of rain in the forecast I put a mac in my rucksack in case. It feels great riding in the pouring rain
Wellies247

Post by Wellies247 »

I know how you feel , for me, I have a love of wellies and I love to wear them whatever the weather and wherever I go, I have worn my wellies in the supermarket, cinema and on days out with family.i used to worry about what people thought but the feeling it gives me is beyond pleasure.

I now have the attitude that I love it so bollocks to what anyone else thinks, I reckon some are jealous anyway. I now enjoy the looks I get. Wouldn't be without my wellies, rain or shine, do what you love and love what you do
Get your boots on
delboy

Post by delboy »

My wife and I have been wearing black PVC rainwear for many years and regularly receive compliments for our outfits.

If you are one of those lacking in confidence to wear shiny rainwear in public, our experience is to only wear it when it is appropriate i.e when it is raining.

During the winter months I regularly wore my black PVC outfit of coat, hat and trousers and when in shops or in crowds I added a matching mask.

The only comments I received were complimentary.

Delboy
delboy

Post by delboy »

My wife and I have been wearing black PVC rainwear for many years and regularly receive compliments for our outfits.

If you are one of those lacking in confidence to wear shiny rainwear in public, our experience is to only wear it when it is appropriate i.e when it is raining.

During the winter months I regularly wore my black PVC outfit of coat, hat and trousers and when in shops or in crowds I added a matching mask.

The only comments I received were complimentary.

Delboy
Izzitpvc

Post by Izzitpvc »

Thanks again for everyone's contributions/support & comments as they are very helpful and of course helping me build up my confidence on a slightly down note it has sadly not rained much or if it has it has been through the night, good for the garden but not a lot of help in wearing my cagoule warm, sunny and windy during daylight hours but keeping an eye on the daily weather forecast though, not many "rain symbols" appearing as yet.
Macklovin

Post by Macklovin »

Yes, you should just go out and enjoy your rainwear in public whenever and wherever possible. It really can be very exciting indeed. It's absolutely thrilling, being out in crowds of people, dressed in a shiny PVC mac or whatever your favourite coat is. And a matching hat !

I think the best piece of advice I can give you, is this - The secret is, do not keep checking to see if people are looking at you... This really makes such a difference to your outward attitude. Avoid checking completely, otherwise you give the impression that your concerned about the way you look, when in fact, you are doing absolutely nothing wrong. After all... It is, just a coat.
Just walk around confidently, without a care in the world, feeling positive and shiny.
I find, that if you smile at someone who is staring at you, they either smile back at you and then sometimes even stop to pay compliments or ask you about your coat and where they can get one from.
And also, realise that, many people actually enjoy seeing people in attractive macs !
I was in a supermarket, only the other day, wearing one of my shiny black PVC Macs and a matching shiny PVC rain hat, and an attractive blond woman with a baby came up to me and she was extremely complimentary and asking me questions, etc. She said she thought PVC was really fashionable these days for anybody and it's just seen as stylish and cool. She also liked the way PVC felt. I happily agreed with all that.
She was lovely and really made my day and that can happen to you too !
So go out and enjoy your coats in public and others will too !
regenhoedje

Post by regenhoedje »

It's always fun to walk in the rain and today I had my plastic poncho on.

https://www.kapwing.com/videos/6287c3bdacbc4300b9960aeb
Sarah pvc

Post by Sarah pvc »

I wear pvc attire out frequently,
Even a few days ago in a black pvc trench.
It was quite warm but hey ho. I was approached in Starbucks by an enthusiastic old chap that looked aroused, but the tart in me kinda enjoyed that.
Shinyhood

Post by Shinyhood »

Izzitpvc wrote: May 20th, 2022, 10:06 am Thanks again for everyone's contributions/support & comments as they are very helpful and of course helping me build up my confidence on a slightly down note it has sadly not rained much or if it has it has been through the night, good for the garden but not a lot of help in wearing my cagoule warm, sunny and windy during daylight hours but keeping an eye on the daily weather forecast though, not many "rain symbols" appearing as yet.

There you go. Summer is now over. Getting misty in the morning and certainly more rain about. No more excuses. Go and get yourself macked up and wear the hood up whenever possible. Most of all, ENJOY IT!!!!!!!!