Gannex Raincoats

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Gannexman

Gannex Raincoats

Post by Gannexman »

Hi Everyone

I’m a newbie on the forum, and as you might guess from my username, I’m into Gannex Macs - amongst other rainwear things.

I just wondered if anyone else had experiences of Gannex rainwear?

Gannex rainwear was extremely popular in the 1960s and 1970s. At the time, UK Prime Minister, Harold Wilson wore a whole series of Gannex Macs. Because of this, a lot of British men copied him and wore one too. There was even a rumour that the Gannex Mac manufacturer were funding Harold Wilson to wear their coats in public, as a form of advertising. Obviously, I have no idea if there is any truth in the rumour!

My Dad had a Gannex back then. It was made of the most robust material imaginable. And the fragrance of it? Wow! Particularly when it was wet!

My Dad’s Gannex had massive buttons I can remember trying it on as a teenager when my parents were out. The combination of big buttons and robust material around the buttonholes meant that I couldn’t get the buttons fastened - even as a teenager.

The feel of the coat too. It was made of really rough material. From memory, I think my Dad used to clean it with a scrubbing brush!!

So has anyone got a Gannex these days? Or do any of you have any memories of them?

Best wishes
Johnnyrbr

Re: Gannex Raincoats

Post by Johnnyrbr »

Someone gave me a Gannex many years ago and I agree with MrDoudy, they were rough and to me had a very unpleasant rubber smell. I never used it
hotwilly

Post by hotwilly »

From memory Gannex were made in Huddesfield , the home of Harold Wilson and he knew the owner of the business.
It was certainly a good advertising ploy if they gave him a coat or two.
I've never owned or wore one, think my father did have one
Broad minded enough to acknowledge we all enjoy different things:)
rubberdee

Post by rubberdee »

they were rough and to me had a very unpleasant rubber smell.
Can anything have an unpleasant rubber smell ?? Personally speaking I love the smell of rubber, the only acception to that would be burning rubber and I can't believe Gannex raincoats would smell of that.
rubnylon2

Post by rubnylon2 »

I remember a number of women wearing Gannex raincoats , they seemed to range in length from three quarter to long and were in colours either green or dark blue. When close to one the rubber aroma was heavenly and the seemd to swish and rustle wonderfully.
Gannexman

Post by Gannexman »

Thanks for all your replies - and range of thoughts too! My Dad’s Gannex absolutely stank! Particularly when wet. I think it was that coat that subconsciously got me started on rainwear. I can remember him owning it when I was very young. My earliest memories of it would have been when I was just 3 years old. It must have been robust, because he still had it, 15 years later.