Wearing one in the shower

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Rain89

Wearing one in the shower

Post by Rain89 »

What a rush that can be. Tried it earlier today for the first time ever. Took it to my bedroom straight from the shower.
raincoatboy

Re: Wearing one in the shower

Post by raincoatboy »

Yes it certainly is. I wore one in the shower to wash it. That didn't work out too well;)
Rain89

Post by Rain89 »

I stayed in the tub for a nearly 30 minutes after filling the tub. I used cold water for fear that the warm water would damage the PVC material. Just wish I had a woman to share the experience with.
merv

Post by merv »

can be fun, make sure the water get nice and soapy and slippery so the pvc slides over your skin
Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast

Post by Pvc Vinyl Enthusiast »

Rain89 wrote:I stayed in the tub for a nearly 30 minutes after filling the tub. I used cold water for fear that the warm water would damage the PVC material. Just wish I had a woman to share the experience with.
Lukewarm water is fine with PVC. In fact, it works better with detergent/washing up liquid/liquid dish soap (or whatever it is called in your country) to remove dirt, grease and oils from PVC raincoats than cold water. Scalding hot water, however, runs the risk of leaching out the softening agents (plasticisers) in the long term (after scalding hot water has had repeated contact with the plasticised PVC), and thus might damage the PVC fabric, transforming it into a brittle and stiff plastic that is prone to cracking, tearing and crazing.

Personally, I enjoy wearing my PVC rainwear in the shower; in fact, I find that it is the best method of cleaning the raincoat. After the detergent bubbles/suds have been rinsed away with plenty of lukewarm water, the glossy PVC surfaces regain their 'clingy' characteristic once more (think of how Saran wrap or cling film clings together). When the squeaky-clean raincoat is worn, handled or folded up, it makes that lovely 'rustling' and 'creaking' noise that really turns me on (glass clear PVC materials especially so).
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

I think PVC can survive quite high temperatures. I remember that the old fashioned plastic diaper pants were usually boiled for washing together with the cotton diapers. But the last poster is right that it shortens the life of plastic garments. OTOH wearing those garments naked does heat them upo to almost 40 centigrades. It is important that no fabric softener is used for washing because this would also help removing the softening agents. But wearing the garments naked does also remove softening agents. Human sweat can be quite aggressive ! I remember having ruined a nice long shiny "PVC" jacket (PU coated polyester actually) by simply wearing it as part of a "sweat suit" over night several times. The coating started to "dissolve". But I can clearly remember boiling my yellow Rukka rainjacked in water a few times as a kid and it is still alive. Maybe I will boil it again soon.