REAL RUBBER MACKINTOSHES

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Tradmack

Re: REAL RUBBER MACKINTOSHES

Post by Tradmack »

Hi Rainwear-experience, Thanks for your post, I was actually referring to the Hunter advertisments for some of their jackets which they claim are finished with a "rubber touch". You are of course entitled to post any opinion but mine was not related to yours directly, happy new year.
rainwear-experience

Post by rainwear-experience »

Apologies and thanks for clearing that up, must admit I dont pay too much attention to ads I prefer to find out things for myself

Happy New Year to you too and let's hope there are lots more proper rubber macks on view for you
annabell-cagoule

Post by annabell-cagoule »

I have just bought a regatta red clear rain mac, it is described too as having a rubbery feel, but is definitely more like smooth
Pvc plastic.
Lets get swishy!
mactim

Post by mactim »

As a rubber mackintosh enthusiast I tend to agree that the over use of the word ‘rubberised’that Mac makers use these days to describe what are in essence raincoats Is misleading but I’m all for encouraging people who buy these macs to think that they have a rubber style mac as it might encourage them to seek out the real thing when they make their next purchase.Also just getting the owners of these macs to talk about their rubber/rubberised Mac is surely no bad thing? And if your partner has to started to wear one one of these rubberised macs that it will be much easier to upgrade her to the real thing, a challenge that can otherwise take many years to achieve!
I understand that despite the high prices that Weathervain have to charge to make a bespoke mackintosh that they are doing well and there is a still a good demand which is good to know. Whilst I won’t defend their prices I will say that I have bought many from them over the last 25 years and they are all still wearing well and there is something nice about having a mackintosh that is the perfect fit/length etc with your own personal additions!
Anything that encourages greater awareness of the rubber mackintosh albeit a little different from what us as true aficionados know and love is good news as far as I’m concerned!
Tradmack

Post by Tradmack »

Great reply Mactim and I really appreciate your angle on encouraging more nice rainwear use.
My beef is with the contemporary rainwear manufacturers and sellers hijacking the rubber term and misleading us traditional rubber mackintosh fans.
They realise that in the UK and possibly other English speaking nations, the word rubber or rubberised still sells well amongst the general public.
They won't dare use the name Mackintosh as that is used by the kosher mack makers, the likes of Mackintosh, Hancocks, W.V. and Gekko, Hamilton Classics etc. It may be the case that in other language countries, that rubber or rubberised is translated as a generic term for lined material that makes it waterproof. However there is no excuse for big companies like Liberty to describe a £750 garment as a rubber coat when it has never seen any real rubber it's life. Happy new year to all our readers, MACK ON !!
mactim

Post by mactim »

Tradmack, I would agree with your comments about some of the better known contemporary rainwear makers hijacking one of our favourite words! But you need to be careful, as there are as well as Weathervain and Mackintosh one or two others out there who do still use proper rubber based fabrics and I think the mackintosh that is being sold by Liberty’s at £750 could be one of them as I’ve seen it! It’s made by a Dutch company called Kassl Editions and they use original fabrics, they even make an oil skin mackintosh made from the real material.. Having said that the price for their rubber mackintosh is ridiculous..Happy new year to you too and with this current weather it should be a case of MACKS ON!
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

All their coats seem a little expensive!
Tradmack

Post by Tradmack »

I have checked the Kassl Editions website and here are the edited highlights:
"KASSL EDITIONS Coat Original Below Rubber Dark Chocolate, the all-time favourite and best seller.
Created from the same rubber fabric, 100% water repellent and breathable.
Composition 52% Polyester, 48% Polyurethane. Developed in Germany and produced in Poland"
Just how do you get rubber into 100% Poly (52 +48 = 100%) ?
I maintain that this coat has never seen any rubber, Polyurethane is not rubber.
mactim

Post by mactim »

Tradmac, I acknowledge your detailed research but I still don’t mind them making mention of rubber as we need to spread the word..maybe they should say it’s got a rubbbery style finish or it’s rubber influenced..we need more people out there wearing proper mackintosh’s, bring back the traditional double textured riding mackintosh’s and the SBR mackintosh’s is what I say!
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

did rkd rubber go out of business?