REAL RUBBER MACKINTOSHES

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Tradmack

REAL RUBBER MACKINTOSHES

Post by Tradmack »

Back in the day I have been a member and correspondent of the Mackintosh Society, IMS, Lorraine's Rainwear Club and more. Now an infrequent contributor to this forum, I regret the move towards plastic and nylon discussion monopolising the threads. I personally find the modern fabrics as welcoming as a hessian potato sack. I think that the conversation too is regretfully descending into fantasy, nothing wrong with that but the wishful thinking should be consigned to the stories section where they belong. So please rubber mack fans contribute as much as you can on here to keep us traditional rubberised mackintosh avids happy, it would be a shame to have to go elsewhere so here is a question for you: How have all the modern rainwear companies managed to hijack the description "rubberised" when the garments haven't been in a million miles near real rubber ?
BobbyValore

Re: REAL RUBBER MACKINTOSHES

Post by BobbyValore »

How have all the modern rainwear companies managed to hijack the description "rubberised" when the garments haven't been in a million miles near real rubber ?

I would have thought that "rubberized" would have negative connotations for the general audience, as in smelly, too warm to wear, too shiny, old fashioned, but for some reason even newer brands without any raincoat history are using it. Beats me how they hijacked it.
rainwear-experience

Post by rainwear-experience »

Tradmack wrote: December 31st, 2020, 12:29 pm Back in the day I have been a member and correspondent of the Mackintosh Society, IMS, Lorraine's Rainwear Club and more. Now an infrequent contributor to this forum, I regret the move towards plastic and nylon discussion monopolising the threads. I personally find the modern fabrics as welcoming as a hessian potato sack. I think that the conversation too is regretfully descending into fantasy, nothing wrong with that but the wishful thinking should be consigned to the stories section where they belong . So please rubber mack fans contribute as much as you can on here to keep us traditional rubberised mackintosh avids happy, it would be a shame to have to go elsewhere so here is a question for you: How have all the modern rainwear companies managed to hijack the description "rubberised" when the garments haven't been in a million miles near real rubber ?
I thought I was the only one who'd noticed that :o

Some of our forum friends seem to have difficulty separating fantasy from reality

Although I'm not a big fan of rubber macks or pretend to know a lot about them I do understand what you mean, rather than being actual rubber and having all its unique qualities items are said to feel rubbery

I think some of the Hunter raincoats have a rubbery feel to them and I've heard others say the same about other brands but I'm not sure I've seen the term rubberised used that much
rubberdee

Post by rubberdee »

Well, not wishing to add fuel to the fire on this discussion, all I will add that I personally like my Klepper mackintosh. My non fetish friends call it my pacamac lol. Unfortunately it is a bit too thin to wear at this time of year and not large enough to wear a liner underneath. Nor have I any attraction towards plastic/pvc or any such materials, not saying I don't wear them but only for practical purposes.
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

I think Stutterheim describe their macs as being "rubberised" when they are not but I am more than happy that they have achieved a widespread general popularity. I like PVC and plastic macs myself but, having come to enjoy rubberised ones "down the line", I would say that unequivocally the best I have ever owned/worn was a black SBR from Weather or Not. (And that's not just because Maurice and Valerie once gave me a lift home)
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

i do think it is false advertising when saying it is rubberized when it is pvc or some other material. i got a yellow weatherite with metal clasps thinking it was the real rubber raincoat when it feels more like pvc. (is weather rite is a knockoff brand?)
rainwear-experience

rainwearseeker wrote: January 1st, 2021, 2:37 am i do think it is false advertising when saying it is rubberized when it is pvc or some other material. i got a yellow weatherite with metal clasps thinking it was the real rubber raincoat when it feels more like pvc. (is weather rite is a knockoff brand?)

http://rainwearcentral.com/viewtopic.ph ... ite#p52718
Jjai

Post by Jjai »

Although I do have some nice thick PVC rainwear, I far prefer my SBR trenchcoats as many still do.
Yes, they do require some maintenance though with silicone polishing and sometimes new collars, but they are magnificent rainwear and normally inspire some nice comments by the few who can remember them when they were widely seen.

The new popular 'rubberised' short hooded coats do not seem substantial enough to cope with anything more than a light shower, although it is wonderful to see many more people that actually wear raincoats now and quite a few men are now wearing the Stutterheim style also which is positive.
What I think is that the only one or two traditional rubber mackintosh manufacturers left - Weathervain and Gecko are pricing themselves out of the market. I know they are handmade but no coat should cost the majority of a months salary, a pity really or more would probably be wearing them around.

I don't know what happened to Lorraines rainwear club, it has been gone for a while, however if someone is after real rubber long raincoats, then e-bay US sometimes has ex fire or police department yellow long rubber slicker raincoats with the Black collar, popular in the seventies and eighties.
Tradmack

Post by Tradmack »

What exactly is Hunter's "rubber touch" they claim in their ads ?
rainwear-experience

Tradmack wrote: January 1st, 2021, 12:18 pm What exactly is Hunter's "rubber touch" they claim in their ads ?
It seems you are referring to my earlier post as it’s the only post in this thread that mentions Hunter

It might be worth you rereading the post as nowhere does it mention Hunter’s claiming a “rubber touch” in their ads

The post says:

“I think some of the Hunter raincoats have a rubbery feel to them”

Whether you agree with it or not that is MY opinion you and others are free to disagree

Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed in this post are mine and are not intended to represent the views of Hunter, any other brand or person