'Niagara' (1953) - now in high definition. Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film.

If you would like to share some pictures and videos please post them here.
MissRachel

Re: 'Niagara' (1953) - now in high definition. Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film.

Post by MissRachel »

Gordo wrote: September 20th, 2020, 1:42 am
MissRachel wrote: September 19th, 2020, 2:36 pm Boy this movie has really rekindled old memories. i went looking for the "Black Diamond/Kaufman" label Gordo mention above and found this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/200335003/ ... FBRjltRmJv

It seems you can find a form of those coats used in the movie but not the same one or even in stock...

I am also playing the movie on a spare monitor here as I work from home this morning. I guess I need to post comments on just the movie. Additionally I am wondering about all the photos my parents took of us on that trip to the Falls. One huge difference was the incline railroad was no longer in use in the 1970's: I do not remember that wooden structure at the bottem of the gorge that let out by the boat.

This is going to drive me crazy: looking for photo albums of the fails from the 1970's in a box in the crawl space?

MR
Out of curiosity.

Do you remember what Niagara Falls raincoat inside lining was like? Was it polyester, pure rubber or something different?

I've been trying to figure this out from viewing Niagara.
It was a course fabric impregnated by the rubber. NOT a full on rubber inside ( I wish it was). I did find one for sale that had a close up of the inside:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... -247024757

I think this is why I can remember "drying racks."

1) Yesterday I could not get any work completed because i was watching the movie to try to take notes on the differences between 1953 and the mid 70's. the wife pulled me outside to work in the garden.

2) later that evening I sorted through some 30 Youtube videos only looking for pre-1980 film. FILM is the key word here. Most records are on Kodak 8mm film and it is really grainy. I found one video from the Ministry of travel for the Country of Canada that was nice but had only 20 seconds of the rainwear to look at. Unless someone finds something else, the movie is still the best historical record of the falls and the rainwear.

3) I still have to WFH today and finish the project ! started yesterday. I still want to create a short review of the movie and mention observations.

MR
If you missed any of my rain-wear videos have a look here... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCplUP6 ... GRFRzPWLfg
Gordo

Re: 'Niagara' (1953) - now in high definition. Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film.

Post by Gordo »

MissRachel wrote: September 20th, 2020, 1:38 pm
MissRachel wrote: September 19th, 2020, 2:36 pm Boy this movie has really rekindled old memories. i went looking for the "Black Diamond/Kaufman" label Gordo mention above and found this:

It seems you can find a form of those coats used in the movie but not the same one or even in stock...

I am also playing the movie on a spare monitor here as I work from home this morning. I guess I need to post comments on just the movie. Additionally I am wondering about all the photos my parents took of us on that trip to the Falls. One huge difference was the incline railroad was no longer in use in the 1970's: I do not remember that wooden structure at the bottem of the gorge that let out by the boat.

This is going to drive me crazy: looking for photo albums of the fails from the 1970's in a box in the crawl space?

MR
Out of curiosity.

Do you remember what Niagara Falls raincoat inside lining was like? Was it polyester, pure rubber or something different?

It was a course fabric impregnated by the rubber. NOT a full on rubber inside ( I wish it was). I did find one for sale that had a close up of the inside:

1) Yesterday I could not get any work completed because i was watching the movie to try to take notes on the differences between 1953 and the mid 70's. the wife pulled me outside to work in the garden.

2) later that evening I sorted through some 30 Youtube videos only looking for pre-1980 film. FILM is the key word here. Most records are on Kodak 8mm film and it is really grainy. I found one video from the Ministry of travel for the Country of Canada that was nice but had only 20 seconds of the rainwear to look at. Unless someone finds something else, the movie is still the best historical record of the falls and the rainwear.

3) I still have to WFH today and finish the project ! started yesterday. I still want to create a short review of the movie and mention observations.

MR
Thanks

I think I saw that Ministry of travel video.

I wonder if you saw "The Last Embrace" movie from 1979? That has a pretty good raincoat scene, if shorter.
MissRachel

Post by MissRachel »

Hello Gordo,

https://www.startpage.com/av/proxy-imag ... 8f5a9a5479

I need to look at this movie!
If you missed any of my rain-wear videos have a look here... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCplUP6 ... GRFRzPWLfg
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

MissRachel wrote: September 20th, 2020, 5:13 pm Hello Gordo,

https://www.startpage.com/av/proxy-imag ... 8f5a9a5479

I need to look at this movie!
Yes, that's a good one.
rothbhoy

Post by rothbhoy »

MR
Out of curiosity.

MR
Seeing those close-up photos reminds me of the shiny black oilskin macs that you could once get hold of in the UK - I think they were once used by sailors in the Royal Navy. They do come up for sale on Ebay from time to time.
rothbhoy

Post by rothbhoy »

Gordo wrote: September 20th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Out of curiosity.

MR
Thanks

I think I saw that Ministry of travel video.

I wonder if you saw "The Last Embrace" movie from 1979? That has a pretty good raincoat scene, if shorter.
Thanks for the info about 'The Last Embrace' - I'll take a look at that shortly. :)
rothbhoy

Post by rothbhoy »

Now had a chance to have a look at 'The Last Embrace'. The macs worn at that time (1979) are definitely a lot different to the ones worn in 'Niagara' - not nearly as good in my opinion.
BobbyValore

Post by BobbyValore »

Great link to the movie, thanks for posting it here.

Naturally I have seen parts of that movie, but the rainwear did not make much of an impression on me to be honest. In pictures with MM wearing it, it seems rather dull and in youtube clips it looks grainy and only slightly interesting. But this HD movie changes that completely: showing all the beautiful features of this wet and shiny rubberized rainwear under great lighting. Absolutely stunning, both the black as well as the yellow stuff.

And a big thanks to MissRachel and Gordo for the background information and personal stories. It sounds like a dream to go on a trip with your whole class and everybody being put into heavy rubber gear. I can imagine a lot of joking and laughing at the start, but soon some will grow quiet and just enjoy the gear for what it is: pure ecstasy.

Too bad they switched to plastic ponchos, it could add to the experience if they still used the heavy rubber gear. But also completely understandable, it must have cost a fortune to hire people to hand them out, clean them, dry them, maintain them, etc. Easier to just sell ponchos for a dollar. Maybe they will switch back to re-usable stuff in the future, when having plastic rainwear for one-time-use is frowned upon due to the amount of plastic waste it produces. Fingers crossed.
MissRachel

Post by MissRachel »

BobbyValore wrote: September 26th, 2020, 8:08 am Great link to the movie, thanks for posting it here.

Naturally I have seen parts of that movie, but the rainwear did not make much of an impression on me to be honest. In pictures with MM wearing it, it seems rather dull and in youtube clips it looks grainy and only slightly interesting. But this HD movie changes that completely: showing all the beautiful features of this wet and shiny rubberized rainwear under great lighting. Absolutely stunning, both the black as well as the yellow stuff.

And a big thanks to MissRachel and Gordo for the background information and personal stories. It sounds like a dream to go on a trip with your whole class and everybody being put into heavy rubber gear. I can imagine a lot of joking and laughing at the start, but soon some will grow quiet and just enjoy the gear for what it is: pure ecstasy.

Too bad they switched to plastic ponchos, it could add to the experience if they still used the heavy rubber gear. But also completely understandable, it must have cost a fortune to hire people to hand them out, clean them, dry them, maintain them, etc. Easier to just sell ponchos for a dollar. Maybe they will switch back to re-usable stuff in the future, when having plastic rainwear for one-time-use is frowned upon due to the amount of plastic waste it produces. Fingers crossed.
It was an amazing time in my young life BobbyValore. I just wish I could find the pictures we took all those years ago. You also brought up a great point about the other classmates becoming silent. There had to be others that either discovered they enjoyed being all snuggled up in heavy rubber rain-wear OR it there was one or two just enjoying the "ride!"
BobbyValore

Post by BobbyValore »

Came across 2 pictures recently on Pinterest from Niagara waterfalls showing people wearing the black rainwear:

First people coming close to the waterfall for a better look of nature's wonder:
(by Pinterest user "K-in-my-Mack")

And a picture from inside a building, possibly waiting to go on an elevator or a place to return the rainwear after use:
(by Pinterest user "Iwant Nospam")