yellow rubber raincoats with metal clasps

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
rainwearseeker

yellow rubber raincoats with metal clasps

Post by rainwearseeker »

i am looking for a yellow rubber raincoat with metal clasps like the classic weatherite. are there any other brands that are like that and does anyone have one they are willing to sell?
rubberdee

Re: yellow rubber raincoats with metal clasps

Post by rubberdee »

I had one of those, well it sounds about the same. Unfortunately the rubber started to perish and peel off in tiny hard pieces. Can't remember the make but I think it was an American brand made in Asia.
TStorm56

Post by TStorm56 »

Unfortunately the rubber raincoats with metal clasps are no longer manufactured. Your best bet is to scour eBay and other second-hand websites for one. They do pop up sometimes.
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

TStorm56 wrote: September 1st, 2020, 1:18 am Unfortunately the rubber raincoats with metal clasps are no longer manufactured. Your best bet is to scour eBay and other second-hand websites for one. They do pop up sometimes.
i know they have long been discontinued. i have a condor sbr rain suit and a yellow rain fair sbr raincoat and both are pretty stiff. what sites other than ebay might sell them?
mason

Post by mason »

rainwearseeker wrote: August 31st, 2020, 6:13 am i am looking for a yellow rubber raincoat with metal clasps like the classic weatherite. are there any other brands that are like that and does anyone have one they are willing to sell?
I have a couple of these - brand new old stock with clasps. I can send photos if you are interested?
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

mason wrote: September 1st, 2020, 12:02 pm
rainwearseeker wrote: August 31st, 2020, 6:13 am i am looking for a yellow rubber raincoat with metal clasps like the classic weatherite. are there any other brands that are like that and does anyone have one they are willing to sell?
I have a couple of these - brand new old stock with clasps. I can send photos if you are interested?
yes please.
MissRachel

Post by MissRachel »

I had one in yellow and one in black however this was in 1965.
If you missed any of my rain-wear videos have a look here... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCplUP6 ... GRFRzPWLfg
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

MissRachel wrote: September 7th, 2020, 3:50 pm I had one in yellow and one in black however this was in 1965.
how much different are they in comparison to the sbr's like a rainfair or condor?
MissRachel

Post by MissRachel »

rainwearseeker wrote: September 9th, 2020, 1:52 pm
MissRachel wrote: September 7th, 2020, 3:50 pm I had one in yellow and one in black however this was in 1965.
how much different are they in comparison to the sbr's like a rainfair or condor?
Hello RainWearSeeker,

I am sorry I do not own an example of a "Rainfair" or "Condor" to compare to.

I can say this, in the big city (Dallas) there is a Army-Navy War Surplus store. I did notice a few weeks ago an "oil skin" coat with the brass clasps just like you are looking for. It was actually in good condition and I almost bought it. I have so many coats already and did not buy. My thought is eBAY maybe your best bet.

MR
If you missed any of my rain-wear videos have a look here... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCplUP6 ... GRFRzPWLfg
Bill_P

Post by Bill_P »

rainwearseeker wrote: September 9th, 2020, 1:52 pm
sorry I never saw this thread before, hopefully I can provide some helpful info for you:

I have both a yellow Condor raincoat and an older black Weatherite (circa the 1950's) and the big difference to me is the old Weatherite coats were made of a softer, more flexible rubber, bonded to a lightweight cloth base, whereas the modern day rubber raincoats are made of a heavier, stiffer rubber compound, bonded to a stiffer canvas base. The old Weatherite has more of a "wispy" or "swishy" quality to it, kind of like single texture rubber mackintoshes, and makes that rustling "sussurus" sound when you move around in it. Also the rubber used in the old Weatherite coats is natural rubber, whereas the newer "industrial" type raincoats are made from SBR (styrene-butadiene rubber; as opposed to the old "Shiny Black Rubber") which is a synthetic rubber compound. Hope this was helpful!