sleeping in rainwear with the hood on or off

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
rainwearseeker

sleeping in rainwear with the hood on or off

Post by rainwearseeker »

i have been trying to sleep in rainwear, but i am not sure if it is easier to sleep with the hood on or off let alone it is difficult to sleep in rainwear in general. i lower the temperature so i do not have any potential heat stress, but are there any tips that make it easier and does wearing the hood help or not?
BobbyValore

Re: sleeping in rainwear with the hood on or off

Post by BobbyValore »

Its not supposed to be easy, right?
If you have non-breathable rainwear you can expect waves of hot and cold: first hot from the rainwear, then cold when you throw the blankets off (in your sleep), then waking up wet and cold only to pull the blankets back on again and that just repeats. With breathable rainwear it will be easier, although i have never tried.

Generally the hood off will be easier, as less of your body is covered and you can regulate heat better.
Maybe build it up slowly otherwise? Start with only pants, then add more gear.
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

I only wear pvc and rubber. I wear unlined pvc rainwear with latex boot covers and long rubber gloves.
Hotnylon123

Post by Hotnylon123 »

Its easier to sleep in my nylon rainwear if its cooler and if iv had a good session . Sometimes ill sleep in my nylon mummy sleeping bag, again if iv had a good session its easyer because im satified and relaxed 😉
mason

Post by mason »

I don't sleep in rainwear very often because I get too hot and sweaty in plastic - usually I will sleep with 2 pairs of plastic pants (briefs & large full cut ones) on under my t-shirt.

However, I did sleep in my new FarmerRain overalls last night and they just felt so nice. I tried sleeping with the hood tied tight, but I began to heat up too quickly, so I undid it after 15 minutes or so. The suit stayed on for 5 or so hours though.
rubbermac

Post by rubbermac »

I always sleep in Oilskins or my Friesseneerz,always with the hood up or sometimes a Souwester,it does get warm but it also gives off a great smell especially the Oilskins as they are old and well worn
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

generally i wanted to make sure that i do not overheat so quickly especially when turning on the fan and changing the air conditioning. also have a unlined chinese rubber wader suit with attached gloves and a hood, but it has a kind of dusty smell and i do not wear it much because of the concern of possible heavy metals. the other reason i have not slept with the hood up is because i was not sure if the vinyl would leach out on my face.
skagit2000

Post by skagit2000 »

Bobby Valore has it right. Hood off better regulates the temperature. I have slept in both vinyl rain pants and karting rain suits (clear plastic) especially during the winter. Summer is just too hot.
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

so what i wear is black/reverse PUL pants, a reversible wippette like raincoat and a PUL blue yellow fashion mac with yellow latex boot covers and thick black rubber gloves such as mapa or marigold.
sergiouk

Post by sergiouk »

I've also got an unlined Chinese rubber wader suit with gloves and (open face) hood, and by punching a couple of holes in the reinforced panel either side of the top of the zip I can padlock it closed so once it's on it isn't coming off until the k-safe opens in the morning. Obviously I drink plenty of fluid so as not to dehydrate so one way or another it's pretty wet inside by the time it comes off. I've worn it for 12 hours in cooler weather and I'd like to go 24 but the gloves are too heavy to type or do much else so it would be a wasted day. I'd like to get a full latex suit with chest zip but sizing can be such a problem when ordering from China.