FarmerRain (yellow) retro raincoat review

Share your feedback on rainwear that you have or other rainwear related items and services you have made use of.
mason

FarmerRain (yellow) retro raincoat review

Post by mason »

I'm happy to say that my Farmer Rain retro raincoat finally arrived in the mail today.

Of course I had to order the shiny yellow version (well, duh!). It's the most raincoat-y colour there is.

Anyway, I can say it is the absolute bees knees. It looks like, and feels like a real raincoat. The PVC is super smooth and slippery to the touch. It's super-long, going all the way down to my shins. The sizing was a little larger than I had expected for an XL but it actually fits me very well. There's plenty of room in the chest area and the sleeves were just right, especially with the sleeve cuffs done up.

Try teaming it with a pair of matching rainboots for the complete look and near total waterproofing.

Even the weather obligingly provided a series of very heavy rain showers so I took it out for a good work out in the rain after dinner. (I wore my China bubblegum rainpants & yellow rainboots underneath everything) My raincoat mostly did the job although some water got through the front - admittedly, the wind and rain was extremely strong for a period of about 15 minutes. It'll do the job just fine in light to medium showers. The peaked hood kept my glasses quite dry in the driving rain so that's another big plus.

Shiny, shiny yellow. It looks like a real raincoat.
Super smooth & slippery PVC
The peaked retro hood. I love it!
Adjustable snap cuffs on the wrists.
Length. It's really long. This raincoat might not suit shorter folks but you can always have it altered.

"DISLIKES" (and suggestions)

The drawstring hood is not long enough. It could be longer with an option of removing the plastic ties
Although the silver press studs have a nice solid feel, it should not leak water in heavy rain. Perhaps the manufacturers could add a 'double flap' with alternating press studs to prevent rain from getting in as easily. A pair of chest-high rain bibs also could solve this problem though - but you'd have to put everything on before leaving the house.
The length. It flapped around a bit in the strong wind, but that's normal. I always team long raincoats with a pair of matching waterproof rainpants and wellies for that reason.
They provided a tie belt with my raincoat, but I would prefer to have a proper belt with belt loops so I can really do it up tight.

VERDICT:

Despite the flaws, I love my new raincoat heaps. Would I buy another one? Absolutely yes.
spitfire617

Re: FarmerRain (yellow) retro raincoat review

Post by spitfire617 »

Nice review!
Your comment about size I would have to agree with.
I know you are "Down under"
European sizes do seem to confuse!
Even here in the U.K!
The sizes appear to vary from country to country!
Europe varies from the Scandinavian countries to!
You appear to have got your coat quite quickly which is very good.
Best wishes
Paul
mason

Post by mason »

spitfire617 wrote: November 4th, 2019, 11:08 am Nice review!
Your comment about size I would have to agree with.
I know you are "Down under"
European sizes do seem to confuse!
Even here in the U.K!
The sizes appear to vary from country to country!
Europe varies from the Scandinavian countries to!
You appear to have got your coat quite quickly which is very good.
Best wishes
Paul
Thanks! I do like it so much, although it is (fractionally) too big for me

Next time, I'll order a large. Ditto for the rain bibs too.
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

Yes I had problems with AJ Bib trousers!
From Poland.
Sizing said to get 4xl which I did and should have been XL
Me bad lol lol!!
MissRachel

Post by MissRachel »

Great review Mason. Any pictures?
If you missed any of my rain-wear videos have a look here... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCplUP6 ... GRFRzPWLfg
BobbyValore

Post by BobbyValore »

Great review, thanks for posting it so quickly. You seem be the one of the first to review this raincoat so its great you are mostly positive about it. And fair comments in your dislikes, these things are good to know for people still being on the fence.

I surely hope these raincoats will become a popular item of fashion, not just for farmerrain who took the risk of creting these coats, but also because i like the overall style and the "retro" look of them. Cannot wait to see tons of pictures of people wearing these raincoat on social media.
mason

Post by mason »

MissRachel wrote: November 4th, 2019, 2:33 pm Great review Mason. Any pictures?
I have taken some selfies, yeah - but not uploaded anything yet
mason

Post by mason »

BobbyValore wrote: November 6th, 2019, 8:19 am Great review, thanks for posting it so quickly. You seem be the one of the first to review this raincoat so its great you are mostly positive about it. And fair comments in your dislikes, these things are good to know for people still being on the fence.

I surely hope these raincoats will become a popular item of fashion, not just for farmerrain who took the risk of creting these coats, but also because i like the overall style and the "retro" look of them. Cannot wait to see tons of pictures of people wearing these raincoat on social media.
Oh, I thoroughly recommend it.

You're not the only one - I would LOVE to see more people wearing these beautiful raincoats.

Problem is, FarmerRain do not appear to be very interested in marketing to a wider audience. There are nowhere in Google rankings too.
mason

Post by mason »

spitfire617 wrote: November 4th, 2019, 11:33 am Yes I had problems with AJ Bib trousers!
From Poland.
Sizing said to get 4xl which I did and should have been XL
Me bad lol lol!!
I had the same problem... sigh.

Not happy. :(
MissRachel

Post by MissRachel »

Speaking of Poland I am having a terrible time cross referencing their size chart to the actual measurements on the jacket. They just do not match. Then I notice in small print it says all items are hand made so differences do exist.
If you missed any of my rain-wear videos have a look here... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCplUP6 ... GRFRzPWLfg