1937 film pic?

If you would like to share some pictures and videos please post them here.
plasphil

1937 film pic?

Post by plasphil »

Found this lovely pic on e-bay. My search to find its origin has been fruitless so far. It looks like the sort of Busby Berkeley chorus girl big dance number they used to do in films from that era but which one?

Phil

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293046371360?ul_noapp=true
tiger4macs

Re: 1937 film pic?

Post by tiger4macs »

Can't pick that Phil, but do you remember a mid-60s episode of either the Black & White Minstrel Show or may have been Saturday Night at the London Palladium, in which the chorus girls did a very provocative dance in shiny PVC macs and cute little rainhats? Colour tv had come by then but I was frustrated to have to watch it in grainy grey and grey! From the shades it was obvious that the macs were all different colours. Mouthwatering!
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

tiger4macs wrote: April 15th, 2019, 12:02 am Can't pick that Phil, but do you remember a mid-60s episode of either the Black & White Minstrel Show or may have been Saturday Night at the London Palladium, in which the chorus girls did a very provocative dance in shiny PVC macs and cute little rainhats? Colour tv had come by then but I was frustrated to have to watch it in grainy grey and grey! From the shades it was obvious that the macs were all different colours. Mouthwatering!
Mention of the TV show that now dare not now speak its name, reminds me, I think, that one of its stars, Margaret Savage, occasionally appeared in black and white PVC macs in TV shows, although I am struggling to remember which ones. Hardly appropriate for The Good Old Days.
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

tiger4macs wrote: April 15th, 2019, 12:02 am Can't pick that Phil, but do you remember a mid-60s episode of either the Black & White Minstrel Show or may have been Saturday Night at the London Palladium, in which the chorus girls did a very provocative dance in shiny PVC macs and cute little rainhats? Colour tv had come by then but I was frustrated to have to watch it in grainy grey and grey! From the shades it was obvious that the macs were all different colours. Mouthwatering!
Mention of the TV show that now dare not now speak its name, reminds me, I think, that one of its stars, Margaret Savage, occasionally appeared in black and white PVC macs in TV shows, although I am struggling to remember which ones. Hardly appropriate for The Good Old Days.
plasphil

Post by plasphil »

As a teenager in the sixties, obviously I remember some variety shows featuring dancers in rainwear. My most memorable was the bizarre sight of girls twirling umbrellas in clear plastic raincoats wearing 'baby doll' nighties underneath! It was a Frankie Vaughan show, my mother was a big fan, sadly long before video so not a hope in hell of finding a clip of it, I probably had to leave the room straight after!!

Phil
Taffmac

Post by Taffmac »

I remember the last in a series of the Billy Cotton Band Show in the days of black and white TV. Right at the end the dancers made their exit off stage dressed in translucent plastic macs. I have tried to find it on the internet but no luck. Sunday Night At The London Palladium had dancers high-kicking in see-through plastic macs, probably to Singing In The Rain.
plasphil

Post by plasphil »

I remember seeing something similar from the same period but it was a dance troupe called 'The Goldiggers', an American group of girls who regularly appeared with Dean Martin. The show may have been called 'The Goldiggers in London'

Phil
KlepperGuy

Post by KlepperGuy »

The film series you are looking for was one of a series from the 1930's made by Warner Brothers entitled the 'The Gold Diggers of 'year''

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gold+ ... 36&bih=710

Try this link which shows clips and full films, Dick Powell was one of the main stars and the dance routines created by Busby Berkely.

To find a different film link just change the date to 1933, 1935. 1937 and 1929.

In Gold Diggers of 1933, Dick Powell sings 'Petting in the Park. Look out for the rain sequence and the US yellow slickers.
Here is the clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQCPDY_ZJpM

Klepperguy
plasphil

Post by plasphil »

Obviously that was the first place I searched as I have done in the past looking for other clips, I'm sure I would have remembered seeing it. All I can assume is that it was from a stage show I believe they used to call 'reviews' back in the thirties.

Phil