Recent Raincoats keep smelling like smoke

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
rainwearseeker

Recent Raincoats keep smelling like smoke

Post by rainwearseeker »

So the past few raincoats I received from USPS for some reason all smell like cigarette smoke and most of the sellers informed me that they came from smoke free homes. I suspect it is coming from the deliverers because the only raincoat I received that did not smell like smoke came from FedEx. has this ever happened to anyone?
MacRobin

Re: Recent Raincoats keep smelling like smoke

Post by MacRobin »

Assuming that the raincoats were inside a package, it is implausible that they acquired a cigarette smell during the transportation by the courier since the package went through a multiple of phases handled by machines and people and even during the short period in the final driver’s van, he is in and out all the time delivering and he doesn’t have time for a quick drag and even if he did, he’d be in the front and your raincoat would be inside a wrapping in the back. It is far more plausible that the seller, having noticed that other sellers describe their wares as coming from a smokeless home, realise that they can say the same even though they smoke 50 a day because in the end, how can it be proved they are lying? They will argue that it was probably the courier who smoked all over the package, and look, you came to that conclusion without them even suggesting it.

Hang the raincoat out on the clothesline during a brisk shower and I am sure it will smell as fresh as it should.
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

This is the 4th raincoat that smells like this and one of them I got from a previous seller that had no smoke smell.
rainwear-experience

Post by rainwear-experience »

All very strange, is it the same UPS driver or different ones?
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

I think I might have the same USPS driver. None of the other raincoats I had smelled like smoke. This was in the past month.
rainwear-experience

Hmm, do you think the driver might be opening your package blowing in smoke and then resealing it before delivery
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

Could the card board boxes get exposed to the smoke?
rainwear-experience

rainwearseeker wrote: February 28th, 2019, 1:35 pm Could the card board boxes get exposed to the smoke?
For goodness sake if its such a big problem for you why not ask the delivery company, unless people on this forum are buying from the same sellers as you and live near you then they are unlikely to know
travis28

Post by travis28 »

Next time you have a shower, hang the coat near it. Hopefully the steam will reduce the smell? (For the record, I'm a non smoker and the smell of tobacco makes me want to be physically ill so I can empathise with this.

Linda always buys her rainwear in store or from trusted vendors.
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

I don't think it was the vendors especially when one of the raincoats I bought came from the same seller and had no smoke. that is why I suspect it is a the deliverer because everyone that came from USPS smelled like smoke in the past months.