Macs in the media.

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
tiger4macs

Re: Macs in the media.

Post by tiger4macs »

Fiona Bruce in anything - or nothing - would invariably spin my wheels! The thought of her in a pretty mac is absolutely delicious
hotwilly

Post by hotwilly »

tiger4macs wrote: February 25th, 2019, 12:47 am Fiona Bruce in anything - or nothing - would invariably spin my wheels! The thought of her in a pretty mac is absolutely delicious
Can only agree with you there
She is a very attractive woman and yes her in a pretty Mac whilst hosting Antique Roadshow would be wonderful .
Broad minded enough to acknowledge we all enjoy different things:)
rubbermac

Post by rubbermac »

Wendy Craig wore a Shiny Rukka whilst riding a bike in one of those awful "comedies" back in the 80s
bjhaus

Post by bjhaus »

Wendy Craig quickly donned a plastic rain bonnet (which she produced from Lord knows where) as a makeshift disguise after mouthing off in a court car-park at another motorist who turned out to be the 'beak' in her son's minor misdemeanour trial. In another episode she went out into a downpour with an undersized bubble umbrella, lasted two paces and turned back. I think it was at that moment that I first twigged that whenever Wardrobe gave a woman a clear brolly it was usually code for 'she's not very bright'. Wendy Craig worked on me like fingernails down a blackboard.
rubnylon2

Post by rubnylon2 »

Look at Series one episode 2 of And mother makes 3 Wendy wears a maxi blue PVC very glossy and lovely
susanmacintosh

Post by susanmacintosh »

I saw another one recently on an old film called I believe "two men and a bicycle". Towards the end the hero is taking part in a cycle race and quite clearly in the crowd watching there is a girl wearing a lovely old fashioned belted plastic mac. She appears several times and as the film was made in the 1940s it must have been a quite early example of a plastic mackintosh. Standing next to her was another girl in what appears to be a traditional rubber backed mackintosh, one with a slightly shiny outer surface.
newbeech2000

Post by newbeech2000 »

The movie is called "A Boy a Girl and a Bike" from 1949. There is a short scene with a girl riding a bike in a plastic poncho at around 50 minutes into the film. At the end the scene as described with various rainwear to see.
Sophie-Cagoule

Post by Sophie-Cagoule »

Small scenes on bbc radio 4 this evening, a great comedy storyline about a couple trying to track down john craven down who was trying to make the worlds first 100% breathable 100% waterproof cagoule. It could have been written by someone on here, i think the word cagoule, raincoat, waterproof was used a hundred times! I wont spoil the end lol
MacRobin

Post by MacRobin »

Hey susanmacintosh, you are so right about that movie Two men and a bicycle? I was a small boy and it was filmed in our part of Yorkshire. My older sister went out to watch as they biked through our village on the way to Bolton Abbey and ordered me to stay at home in case I was caught on camera and spoiled the film. Eventually, they arranged a special showing of it in our village institute and although only 8, I was allowed to attend. There was indeed a scene and I must try and find it on YouTube, when the cyclists all ride up the hill in Cross Hills, towards the church before sweeping left towards what would be Kildwick and Silsden. Just before the T junction, the crowd on the left contained quite a few what must have been local girls in rubber macks. It was raining in the film. I must have gasped “wow” in the institute, because later my sister, with narrowed eyes said “I didn’t know you liked cycling. “I don’t.

I tried to find the movie and I wonder . . . Could it have been “A boy a girl and a bike.”? That was Honor Blackman, 1949 phew, although for some reason, I thought Gracie Fields was in it.
MacRobin

Post by MacRobin »

No not Gracie Fields but all the usual suspects, Honor Blackman, Diana Dors (imagine her on a bike wearing a rubber mack) Anthony Newley, Maurice Denham and Thora Hird.