Mackintosh

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
spitfire617

Re: Mackintosh

Post by spitfire617 »

WealdenMac wrote: September 19th, 2018, 10:19 am Back in the day the word "mackintosh" was, of course, also commonly used to describe those brown rubber sheets then used to protect mattresses. So it was not uncommon for parents of young children arriving at, say, a boarding house to be asked, in their presence, "Does s/he still need a mackintosh sheet?"
I did not know that!
mackintoshed

Post by mackintoshed »

Coachmen would also sit on what was known as 'mackintosh squares', as they rode in inclement weather.
mason

Post by mason »

merv wrote: September 15th, 2018, 10:00 pm no, its only used by the prissy TVs who frequent these pages, to anybody else its a mac
Merv, knock it off or you get a ban. I don't like doing it but I like obvious homophobia even less.
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

"Bright as the morning sea, those early days.
Though there were tears and sand thrown in my eyes
and punishments and smells of mackintosh,"

The poet John Betjeman recalling his childhood/schooldays in the autobiographical narrative poem "Summoned By Bells"
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

mackintoshed wrote: September 19th, 2018, 10:36 am Coachmen would also sit on what was known as 'mackintosh squares', as they rode in inclement weather.
Really?
I thought that they wore heavy capes and that would protect them?
I can see why!
mrbassman101

Post by mrbassman101 »

Lovely word - mackintosh - -brings back lots of lovely memories of nice rubber clad ladies who were extremely nice to me.
Not so fond of the other word - mac - which my wife uses incorrectly , but am still happy to hear it too.
Any kind of rubberised raincoat would arouse my interest , and they are quite distinctive and easy to spot , although nowhere near as common as in years gone by.
rubnylon2

Post by rubnylon2 »

I love my mackintosh and wear it as often as I can. Well in fact I have several all rubberised materials and I do not posses any other types raincoat. It has been mackintosh since as far back as I can remember even when my sister wore her a gabardine it was referred to as a mackintosh.

The feeling of I get from wearing a mackintosh is absolutely fabulous whether I am naked or not the effect is the same.
blackmacjay

Post by blackmacjay »

I agree with rubnylon2 absolutely. Now I've not tried it naked but the effect on me is amazing.

And I have 3, all with rubber on the inside. Several times I've been told by men that they appreciate my "look". But I don't know if they shared my fetish.

And it is a fetish for me!
mackintoshed

Post by mackintoshed »

It was good to read Blackmacjay's comment, and his use of the term "it is a fetish for me". I have chatted with many, over the years, who proclaim to have a mackintosh fetish, but when you read messages such as " I have been into rubber, now for twenty years", or "I have been a rubberist now since I was twenty-three", one wonders what their understanding of a fetish, is? In my case, I had an attraction to women, and women only at that time, who wore mackintoshes, whatever the fabric, as long as they were noisy, were long, and had buttons. This obsession has been with me since I was three, or four. I cannot pinpoint the moment it happened. I know not when, and I know not why, but I know it chose me, not me, it. I did not choose it in later years either, to be fashionable, or outrageous. As Blakmacjay puts it, it's a fetish for me.
susanmacintosh

Post by susanmacintosh »

Yes I also love the sound of the word mac or mackintosh. I can feel myself blush whenever I say it, or maybe I should say flush with pleasure. I also get the same reaction from saying nylon raincoat or mackintosh, and of course plastic mackintosh. I also have fetish about those lovely nylon overalls from the sixties and seventies, and so I get another secret feeling of pleasure whenever I pronounce those two little words.