Restoring the gloss on shiny vinyl

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
ilikecoated

Restoring the gloss on shiny vinyl

Post by ilikecoated »

Does anyone have an idea how one can safely bring back the nice gloss on older shiny vinyl (Patent, lacquered, PVC .....) garments ?
nerzman

Re: Restoring the gloss on shiny vinyl

Post by nerzman »

Hi,

I can recommend the products of Vivishine or Amor all (car-focus, PVC surfaces).
Amazon should have quite a choice of it.
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

Thanks for the tips. I once used cockpit clean on a shiny biker jacket. It worked well but I don't know how good it is in the long run and whether it is detrimental to the coating. The one that I used it on was destined for a destruction video however. The remains of it still exist. Maybe I can check these as well.
The ones that I'd like to treat now are meant to be used as long as possible. If I can't save them they will also go to the shredder.
One concern regarding Cockpit Clean are warnings on the bottles that it shouldn' be used on textiles. And there are also some health warnings too. But maybe they can be thinned with water.
I will probably try some foam treatment meant for patent leather aus well.
And I also found a special detergent for lacquered PVC clothing, called Gogloss on the web. And there are also special detergents for Vinyl and PU diaper pants that are non-aggressive.
kinkydenn

Post by kinkydenn »

Dont send them to the shredder, send them to me instead please
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

This is not an option unforunately. It's either looking nice again or being destroyed. But If I can save them they will enjoy a long life.
My wife looked drop dead gorgeous in them until she gained weight a few years ago. She lost weight with a lot of discipline and they would fit nicely again. But the garments deteriorated a Bit over the years despite careful storage.
There are some very nice dresses, tops, trousers and bodysuits. Some of them were from the British label "Wild Designs". The owner Jude Wild had very good taste and designed some of the most elegant, cute and sexy items I have seen so far made from shiny PVC. Unfortunately she gave up business a few years ago.

Hey Jude (no pun intended !), if you can hear this somewhere out there - please do it again !!

The outfit in this commercial is a Wild Designs one BTW:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1iKtmUVB6o4
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

Well, after some experimentation it looks as If there is no chance at all as soon as a certain point is reached. I tried window cleaner, some special foam thing for leather ( including patent leather and phleather) ans cockpit clean. They give back the shine - with the foam thing giving the nicest look and most neutral smell.
But the main issue ist that many of the garments that lost their shine are "destroyed internally". While attempting to gently hand wash them they delaminated !
I guess this is due to not being washed every time they were getting sweaty. We always turned them inside out after use and stored them when fully dried only. And about every third time they were gently hand washed. But human sweat seems to stay aggressive even when dried.
So my conclusion ist that they should bei rinsed at least after each use.
And maybe this is also some post mortal revenge by the items that I intentionally destroyed before.
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

Tonight I washed four items with that special detergent called "Begloss". It looks as if it would indeed bring back some of the shine.
I guess wiping it with some soft microfibre cloth as soon as they are dry will help further.

But the items that have been stored for a long time without rinse after the last use are definitely lost. Their coating starts to peel off as soon as the textile side ist soaked. One Body part with the nastiest sweat seems to be the back of the neck.
I guess those garments would prefer not being worn at all if they had a choice. They make the wearer sweat which in turn destroys the garment.
In the future I will rinse every item in the morning after use. I promise. At least the ones that I'd like to keep longer.