Transgender girl looking for raincoat fashion advice

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Luna

Transgender girl looking for raincoat fashion advice

Post by Luna »

As I didn’t see a board for new members to introduce themselves, I figured I’d just do it here and pose my fashion dilemma while I’m at it.

So, I’m Luna, a 26 year young transgender (male-to-female) person. Since I came out to my friends last year, I’ve been going out as a girl during the weekends which has been enormously liberating for me. My current style of clothing is a combination of cute, Japan-esque and nautical clothes with a hint of kink/fetish. Think striped tops, (vinyl) skater skirts and sailor uniforms and you know what I mean :). I’m looking for a raincoat that would enhance these outfits but would also go over a pair of tight jeans and long sleeved top, something I’d wear to work.

The website I consider getting my raincoat from is PVC-U-LIKE – I’ve ordered from them in the past and love the materials they use. I was thinking of getting their “Everyday Raincoat” (RA63), because it’s slightly above the knee and features a drawstring hood. Since I would want the raincoat to enhance and show off my outfits, I was thinking of the raincoat to be either natural glass-clear or black glass-clear transparent. I’ve seen PVC-U-LIKE also has natural glass-clear material with black or white polka dots, but I’m not so sure about that.

Considering my clothing style, do you people think this is a good choice? Would you go for a different raincoat and/or color? I’d love to hear your advice :).
blackmacjay

Re: Transgender girl looking for raincoat fashion advice

Post by blackmacjay »

If it is PVC you want, I would suggest you are fine. Not mine, but it is you we are talking about.
Onslow

Post by Onslow »

i bought an "Everyday Raincoat " in dark green glass clear for my lady friend from PUL & she loves it . They are great for the "not over tall" people in the world and don't drown the wearer in too much length . They are very nicely made too , as all PULs stuff is . However green is not exactly a nautical color , so that might not be ideal for you ! I would recommend that raincoat though !
wetlookslicker

Post by wetlookslicker »

Right now short above the knee coats are in vogue for younger people. purple is up and coming, Pink is hip, and red and black are always in. However another approach you could take is to simply choose what pleases you. I prefer longer coats they are warmer and I wear the colour I like the most which is pink to work shopping etc. So my advice is do what makes you happy, and remember you only have to answer to yourself not anyone else
blackmacjay

Post by blackmacjay »

I could not agree more with "wetlookslicker".

As my wife puts it, "Mackintoshes are both waterproof and windproof and that includes the knees".
Luna

Post by Luna »

Thanks for all the advice! In the end I went with the “Everyday Raincoat” in natural glass-clear, because the polka dots on a glass-clear raincoat would fall away against my black and white clothes. Also, I was very pleased that they could attach a glass-clear “Inner Hood” to the raincoat, for breathplay.