hunter boots stiffness in some colors

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
rainwearseeker

hunter boots stiffness in some colors

Post by rainwearseeker »

So I have a two gloss pairs of hunter boots and strangely the yellow ones are very stiff but the blue ones i have are much softer and more rubbery? why is it that some colors have a different texture and which ones are soft and rubbery?
MuddyKatie

Re: hunter boots stiffness in some colors

Post by MuddyKatie »

The new Chinese ones don't have amazing quality control, and different batches of the rubber they use can differ
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

I have a pair of matte green ones that have the "made in scotland" logo. i want to know which colors tend to be a softer rubber.
MuddyKatie

Post by MuddyKatie »

I don't think it actually varies by colour. I think it varies by batch - different pairs of green ones I've bought differ in stiffness. I think it is due to inconsistencies in the vulcanisation process
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

but what about blooming? some colors do not have the wax coating while others do.
MuddyKatie

Post by MuddyKatie »

Again, I think you are making a mistake by linking this to colour. I've seen green batches which have the wax coating, and green ones that don't. I think you need to appreciate that hunter are not running some mad colour coding process to create boots with very slightly different qualities for each different colour. They are running a batch process with apparently quite wide tolerances, which is producing variations between batches.
MuddyKatie

Post by MuddyKatie »

(if it is of any comfort, it's literally a textbook example of false correlation from too small a sample size - you assume that one variable (stiffness) is correlated with another (colour) when in fact both are random through the population._
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

But I have seen colors that have a consistent texture. i am not saying the quality is different.