Beauty in Plastic

If you would like to share some pictures and videos please post them here.
TStorm56

Beauty in Plastic

Post by TStorm56 »

hotwilly

Re: Beauty in Plastic

Post by hotwilly »

Nice find - thanks
Broad minded enough to acknowledge we all enjoy different things:)
frogmac

Post by frogmac »

One of my favourite video clips, when plastic was the in thing and could be seen in the streets on a regular basis.
Slyfox

Post by Slyfox »

Great find, thanks 😎
dfpjlf

Post by dfpjlf »

That makes look younger us and awakens memories
plasphil

Post by plasphil »

I agree frogmac, one of my all time favourite clips as well. Although I have some memories of the early sixties, I often wonder what it would have been like to have been born 20 years earlier and lived through the 'golden age' of plastic rainwear. I believe this clip was first posted about 6-7 years ago so it's good to see it is still being discovered, shared and enjoyed.

Phil
frogmac

Post by frogmac »

Thanks Plasphil.

I often wish i had a time machine so I could flit back to wet days in the fifties now and then.

Have you seen the videos about the Festival of Britain in 1951 or the Coronation in 1952? They both have quick glimpses of rainwear.
Taffmac

Post by Taffmac »

Oh yes !!!! I have watched that clip many times. The first mac is superb. It looks so soft, beautifully stylish, practical and, of course, translucent.

Having been born in 1948, I was lucky enough to have witnessed the very common wearing of plastic macs by both men and women. But, it was the women that I liked to see wearing colourful macs and I longed to be able to wear one. My sister had a pale blue see-through plastic mac until the early 1960's and I would touch it whenever no-one was looking.

During the 1950's and early 1960's plastic macs were a common sight and a shopping trip was a delight as many shops would display plastic macs in their windows and the Woolworth stores would always have a large selection inside. Also, during that time, I would often have to visit neighbour's houses on errands or to call for a friend, always calling at the back door, never the front door. Most people in the street had their coats hanging near the back door and it seemed that everyone would have a plastic mac hanging there ready for a quick dash to the shop in the rain.

Happy days, indeed.

Many thanks to Plasphil and Frogmac for their contributions to this site.

Jeff.
pvclovering

Post by pvclovering »

Wonderful!! Wish I was around back then, but at least there was the 60s, when I was growing up. If only plastic came back big time again like that.
regenhoedje

Post by regenhoedje »

Lots of pictures from the good old days of plastic rainwear:

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/vin ... ostpopular