Tretorn Wings Jacket

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
shinyphile

Tretorn Wings Jacket

Post by shinyphile »

I saw today on the train a woman wearing a green Tretorn rain jacket. I was not close enough to tell, but from a distance it looked like a matte, non-shiny heavy PVC, perhaps similar to a Rukka style.

Upon searching the Internet, I discovered it must be the Tretorn Wings jacket. Much to my disappointment, I cannot locate them here in the states and it appears stores like Nordstrom (which has over the past years been a very good place to shop for Hunter brand wellies) had the Tretorn Wings jackets but don't have them now. I cannot quickly locate the jacket anywhere in the US on the Internet. Some of the European Tretorn sites still have it. Just the United States Tretorn site is very small in options and they don't have the types of wellies that I find attractive as some of the ones they only sell in Europe are.

So, anyone have the Tretorn Wings jacket? Is it thick in feel? PVC or polyurethane?
blackmacjay

Re: Tretorn Wings Jacket

Post by blackmacjay »

Buy it in Europe. Bear in mind that we don't pay VAT so you can expect to get a sum off the price.
Bill_P

Post by Bill_P »

Do you have a nordstrom rack store near you, or have you checked the nordstromrack.com website? They usually have stuff sold at a discount once the main nordstrom stores stop selling them. I've gotten really good deals on Hunter wellies there in the past.
merv

Post by merv »

you can get a helly hansen green one for a fraction of the price, I have bought loads of stuff from this website and the service is brilliant http://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/H ... Army-Green
shinyphile

Post by shinyphile »

Thank you all for the initial thoughts and shopping suggestions. What I am still wondering is how it is as a raincoat. Is it cotton backed? Does it have the feel of heavy PVC? Would you personally buy one? Does it compare to Stutterheim or is it a thinner and not-so-PVCish jacket?
blackmacjay

Post by blackmacjay »

Most rainwear has either a rubber back or has rubber on the outside as per SBR or is double-textured so it has rubber in the middle between 2 cloth inserts.

The exception is PVC or it's variants.

Then, of course, there are the "raincoats" sold in stores which are not waterproof or windproof.