Weathervain

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Rubbersocks1999

Weathervain

Post by Rubbersocks1999 »

Weathervain is now going Mail Order only at the end of the month. Please go to the website for updates.
rainwear-experience

Re: Weathervain

Post by rainwear-experience »

http://www.weathervain.com/

Its sad to see the shop will be closing but understandable given the high costs of premises

Best wishes for the future
blackmacjay

Post by blackmacjay »

I have bought several mackintoshes from Weathervain for my wife. The product is always excellent and is always delivered on time.

I only went to the store once and that was when I was on vacation there but my best wishes to them and let us hope they stay in business for a long time.

Cheers,

blackmacjay
mactim

Post by mactim »

I think they're only people left in the UK that make rubber mackintosh's. I don't even think that Mackintosh from Scotland make proper rubber mackintosh's anymore. I think the rubber in their single/double textured macs has now been substituted for a man made material. There's a firm called Hancock, also based in Scotland that may still have a rubber element in their mackintosh's.
I don't want to think about the day when we can't buy rubber mackintosh's anymore!
sergiouk

Post by sergiouk »

That's the end of an era. I've been going and buying there occasionally for thirty years. Might just have to drop in one more time before they close. But in the internet age we can't argue that moving to a dedicated production site as Cocoon did years ago makes sound economic sense.
blackmacjay

Post by blackmacjay »

I tend to think that mactim is right except for Hamilton Classics and somehow their mackintoshes are not the same as Weathervain.

So keep buying those Weathervain mackintoshes.

It maybe our last hope!!
delboy

Post by delboy »

I have also been a customer over a number of years and have always found it beneficial to visit the shop a couple of times before ordering. The chief benefit was being able to try on different styles and sizes and so I will miss that.

I am not surprised they are closing the shop as it is in an expensive part of London and whenever I have visited in recent years I have been the only customer. The last time that I was there I got the impression most of the customers were from Europe so presumably they ordered on line.

In today's world most people go to work by car so it is only commuters who are in need of of a proper mackintosh and I am sure that reflects a reduction in the need for traditional raincoats.

My wife preferred the Rainmac raincoats and with their apparent demise the chances of seeing people dressed in traditional rainwear becomes less and less although when we do go out wearing our PVC coats we usually get more than one compliment on our suitable rainwear

Delboy
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

Sad to see the shop closing. I first visited Weathervain in Tony Goddard's time when his shop was on Hill Rise. I was very new to the "scene" then and Tony's magazine and photo sets (Remember those? I still treasure my Gayetime Macs collection) were quite a gentle introduction.
pvclovering

Post by pvclovering »

Sorry the shop is closing,but understandable I suppose. I visited the shop when in London to purchase the PVC raincoats. Prefer buying any clothing instore rather than online. Hope things work well for the owner.