My pakamac and me

Stories and fantasies about rainwear.
Rives

Re: My pakamac and me 1

Post by Rives »

What a wonderful story. Beautifully told. And how so familiar; my own story was almost exactly the same. A pakamac at 13 when all the other boys had anoraks or cagoule. How I wanted to be like them. But no! My mother had already decided otherwise. Protests and tears followed but she was not to be turned.

Would love to chat further if interested
Rives

Re: My pakamac and me

Post by Rives »

A very similar experience to mine. With me the key event was me tearing a Peter Storm cagoule after I'd had it for barely a month or two. Attempts to "patch" it failed and eventually I was marched into the main school uniform outfitters for what I thought was a like for like replacement. How wrong was I?!

The cagoule were by passed and I was taken to the "proper macs". I was found a navy pakamac and told to put it on. I resisted but was practically buttoned up in it. I told my mother , who was in no mood for messing, that no way would I wear it, but I was told I'd be wearing it home there and then, and also to school the following Monday (it was half term also if I recall)

It was horrible - really old fashioned and childish. No one else wore one at school and I felt stupid and nerds wearing it. So I started to put it in my bag when I was around the corner, and reversed the process on the way home. Of course I was eventually found out... wet clothes in class and likewise when I got home. So my mother went to the extraordinary length of speaking to our next door neighbour who was also a History teacher in my school. She caught the same bus to school as the children in the village so it was arranged that I should walk to and from the bus stop with her and she would make sure I wore my pakamac when it rained. And that included the pakamac being buttoned to the neck. It was so embarrassing to be told to "put the mac on Howard" and "make sure you button it up properly".

So many memories. So many stories to recall!
Rives

Post by Rives »

I think on reflection there was one other boy who wore it but for him it was all part of a Mod image. For me it was all part of wearing what I was told and to be sharp about it
KlepperGuy

Post by KlepperGuy »

Pakamacs and me............. I read the above and I was different, I wanted a Pakamac.........WHY ?
Because my Dad wore one, it was wonderful to walk with him in the rain wearing a Pakamac. to me it was a heavy smokey grey plastic that rustled as we walked along. At home when it was hung up, I would touch it, feel and smell it, it felt lovely.

When I got my own we were on holiday in Blackpool and the weather was shocking (strange now I appreciate a good downpour and a mack) What was going to be a summer holiday turned into a wet nightmare. Well Dad and I went off to Woolworths on the sea front and purchased our Pakamacs. Out we went into the rain fully macked up, dad wore his cap and me my school cap and short trousers. The macks served us well on our weeks holiday.......and even more so back home.
My liking for plastic macks grew and I developed a liking for other things clothes made of rubber lined materials, oilskins, pvc and rubber.
Well that was over 50 years ago, the passion has never diminished......... and when I close my eyes I can still see me and my dad in our macks and have pleasant thoughts of Blackpool.
mspakamac

Post by mspakamac »

Actually, I don't particularly like talking about childhood simply because I much prefer to talk about life as an adult, but there were possibly three major events in my youth that helped the self-discovery of my loves. From about the age of 8, I became aware of a deep urge to be female, that I was born wrong. Around the same time, I became aware that I had a strange thing about macs. There had been incidents earlier than that age but I had no awareness of what I was doing.

When I was 12, my very first real chance to wear a plastic mac came on a very wet caravanning holiday. I was already fascinated by them and the people who wore them, but I'd never worn one. I was stuck indoors, because of continuous bad health as a child (and still suffer), for days on end. My mother kept me inside but I was bored out of my head, constantly pestering to go out. I had no raincoat so eventually she relented and out I went dressed in her cut down, yellow plastic mac. It was belted, buttoned to the neck and the matching plastic rain bonnet was tied over my head, tucked in to look like a hood. I spent one happy and fulfilling wet afternoon, especially when some boys taunted me with a girl's name. What with both my parents telling me I was to be called 'Susan' had I been the girl they always had wanted, I'm sure a psychiatrist could have a field day with that and the ladies plastic mac afternoon.

I was bought my own black plastic mac afterwards but although enjoyable to wear, they were never as good as when I could put on a ladies plastic or nylon mac.

The other 2 incidents were when it was spread about what wearing a plastic mac did for me and when I was discovered dressed as a woman wearing a nylon mac.
I adore my foldaway plastic macs and nylon macs http://www.plasticmacs.com
pvclovering

Post by pvclovering »

I was also was bought a black plastic mac on a wet day on holiday in the mid 1960s as a 9/10 year old. I often wore it when we got home, even playing out in it in dry weather. There was a girl a couple of doors away I used to go and play with . I would often go to her house wearing it. She liked to dance but I didn''t.She would grab my shoulders and shake me, telling me it was easy, all I had to do was shake myself! Eventually I joined in.
My love of plastic is still around. I have a PUL shiny black PVC mac I often wear either in the rain, or for "pleasure". I put it on and still shake! The girl is long gone though.