Laptop problems aaaaaggggghhh!

Non rainwear related post about all things other than rainwear.
plasphil

Laptop problems aaaaaggggghhh!

Post by plasphil »

Any computer wizards in the south of England (Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire...or maybe further)? I can't get into my laptop, it won't get past the black screen/windows emblems. Before anyone asks, although I'm no techy I've tried the F8's and all that. Although I don't keep very much in it I don't want to loose some material not related to 'our thing' and it's not the sort of machine you can take into PC World!!

If anyone can help I would be very pleased to here you.

Phil.
spitfire617

Re: Laptop problems aaaaaggggghhh!

Post by spitfire617 »

System restore?
System tools then system restore
if not it is buggered!
sergiouk

Post by sergiouk »

If you have access to another computer then buy an external drive enclosure or dock such as this from your local Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/2535-inch-sata-usb-dock-a83hq, take the disk out of the laptop (usually easy enough with a small screwdriver if you're careful), put it in the dock and connect to the other computer. You'll then see it as another drive and you can copy what you need to a CD, memory stick or external drive. Finally you can securely erase the old drive, return it to the laptop and safely take it to a store.

Post the exact make and model of laptop if you'd like us to check how the drive is fitted.
plasphil

Post by plasphil »

Well, I tried that, thankyou for your help but it was probably a waste of time and money! I read the reviews (obviously not written by real customers) and it seemed simple enough, one comedian even said 'just plug it in and go'!) So I did that and what comes up on screen is 'imagelayout' and 'recovery'. So I clicked on 'local disc' down the side panel and it said I had to format the disc and then said that anything on the disc would be wiped. Something else came up about 'outside parameters'. I know nothing about computers but surely this should be a simple task?

Phil.