UK Customs charges

Non rainwear related post about all things other than rainwear.
RainyDee

UK Customs charges

Post by RainyDee »

For those on the forum who live in the UK but buy our favourite items of clothing from outwith the EU, please be aware that the threshold for VAT on parcels marked as a gift has changed, not so long ago it was GBP£40, now it's down to GBP£35, something they have kept pretty quiet about and has caught me out this morning, I paid USD$77 for 6 very interesting "items" from China, another USD$180 for shipping them over to the UK and surprise, surprise, the UK Government want GBP£59.90 from me in duties, my previous 5 parcels all sailed through customs and came straight to my door, I think this 6th parcel will be my last!
merv

Re: UK Customs charges

Post by merv »

you dont seem to be having much luck lately with anything do you what with the sticky raincoats, the non payer on ebay (did you ever sort that one?) and now this, still they say bad luck goes in 3s so perhaps you have had your share now
RainyDee

Re: UK Customs charges

Post by RainyDee »

I certainly hope so merv! The sticky raincoat I was able to salvage, firstly I soaked it in hot water and washing up liquid in the bath which got rid of most of the stickyness, and to get rid of the rest I put the raincoat throught the washing machine turned inside out with a couple of old towels and now my raincoat is as good as anyone elses!! The non paying bidder paid the morning after I'd opened 10 unpaid item claims with ebay so that worked out in the end, but these customs charges were totrally out of the blue, I set the value on them to USD$50 as I did with the last 2 parcels I've had from China and they sailed through, I'll set it to 0 next time, why don't those morons in westminster go after the corporations that are blatantly avoiding millions in taxes and leave us mere mortals alone, get me off this subject ASAP!!