Hello strangers

If you would like to share some pictures and videos please post them here.
Alicia

Hello strangers

Post by Alicia »

Hello,
Remember me, I've not logged on here for several months now. I shall explain why:

My work have seconded me to the west coast of Scotland to deal with a major property deal. For commercial sensitivity I cannot provide any details but it will have a major impact on the local area. I've been based there since May, but I'm back home for the weekend.

Work have rented me a cottage in a small village and guess what, no internet or wi-fi connection at home, only via the temporary office hence me being incommunicado.

I have to say the west coast of Scotland is beautiful and the people are loveluy. So friendly and no bullshit! It rains a lot here (hoorah!) and I've worn my sbrmac, my 'formal' debenhams trenchcoat and my klepper mac to work, to meetings, for walks and to the nearest pub - no adverse, snide or innuendo comments. It's a damp mild climate and you have to dress appropriatley.

After a few galsses of wine in the pub and a discussion about midges I made a joking comment about wearing a rubber suit to stop the midges biting. The response was 'we've had far stranger suggestions made by the English, but its a good idea. You could swim in the sea wearing it as well to keep warm.' I've not tried this out yet!

I might well be here for some time yet. I do like this part of Scotland and the relaxed attitude of the locals, although winter might be a very different proposition. On June 21st the sun did dip below the horizon but it didn't really get dark. On December 21st I guess the opposite will happen.

I hope everyone is well and enjoying the wet summer.

best wishes
Alicia
pete

Re: Hello strangers

Post by pete »

It's good to hear from you. We experienced the midnight sun on a trip to Alaska several years ago...it "set" about 11:30 and "rose" a bit farther to the east about 2 am, and beautiful sunset colors marked its place the whole time. Another funny thing about the northern summer sun - it shines into every window in the house at some point during the day.

It sounds like you won't experience such a mild climate there come winter....
- Pete
Jjai

Re: Hello strangers

Post by Jjai »

Hello again Alicia
It sounds as if you are enjoying the solitude and peace where you are in Scotland there. It is true that people dress for the weather there without the fashion police watching and commenting, I had to go to a place called macduff right at the top of scotland once a few years ago where even in summer the rain was exceptional and almost permanent. The locals especially the fishermen (and women) had raingear to die for, it was heaven !
I hope it is not all work and no play where you are, I hope you are having a well earned change up there.
It is good to hear you are well and having a blissful time without the intrusions of modern technology !
Best wishes
Jjai