'Niagara' (1953) - now in high definition. Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film.

If you would like to share some pictures and videos please post them here.
rothbhoy
Posts: 694
Joined: August 18th, 2018, 5:22 am

'Niagara' (1953) - now in high definition. Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film.

Post by rothbhoy »

'Niagara' (1953). It is now viewable in HIGH definition on the Internet! Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film. Enjoy! :) https://ok.ru/video/274754964131 It can be downloaded via this online downloader (others are available): https://okvid.download/
Last edited by rothbhoy on September 18th, 2020, 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MissRachel
Posts: 786
Joined: June 1st, 2019, 12:39 pm
Location: TX, USA
Contact:

Re: 'Niagara' (1953 - now in high definition). Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film.

Post by MissRachel »

rothbhoy wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:21 pm 'Niagara' (1953). It is now viewable in HIGH definition on the Internet! Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film. Enjoy! :) https://ok.ru/video/274754964131 It can be downloaded via this online downloader (others are available): https://okvid.download/
I think this was the movie that got me started. I also had a chance to dress in the boots and lovely, heavy rubber macks as a teenager.
rainwearseeker
Posts: 464
Joined: April 5th, 2017, 10:49 am

Re: 'Niagara' (1953 - now in high definition). Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film.

Post by rainwearseeker »

i noticed rubber rain pants are worn as well.
bethbennett202
Posts: 445
Joined: June 26th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Re: 'Niagara' (1953 - now in high definition). Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film.

Post by bethbennett202 »

Notice that there's lots of people in raincoats on that boat the men have the black ones and the women yellow the scene where the bad guy chases marilyn in rubber raincoats is exciteing
rothbhoy
Posts: 694
Joined: August 18th, 2018, 5:22 am

Re: 'Niagara' (1953 - now in high definition). Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film.

Post by rothbhoy »

rainwearseeker wrote: September 17th, 2020, 7:20 pm i want that yellow raincoat.
Don't we all!! I can't imagine there are that many left nowadays but it would be great to get hold of one.
rothbhoy
Posts: 694
Joined: August 18th, 2018, 5:22 am

Re: 'Niagara' (1953 - now in high definition). Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film.

Post by rothbhoy »

MissRachel wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:31 pm
rothbhoy wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:21 pm 'Niagara' (1953). It is now viewable in HIGH definition on the Internet! Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film. Enjoy! :) https://ok.ru/video/274754964131 It can be downloaded via this online downloader (others are available): https://okvid.download/
I think this was the movie that got me started. I also had a chance to dress in the boots and lovely, heavy rubber macks as a teenager.
Wow! You were so lucky there Miss Rachel. I wonder when the yellow and rubber macs were phased out. Do you happen to know by any chance?
MissRachel
Posts: 786
Joined: June 1st, 2019, 12:39 pm
Location: TX, USA
Contact:

Re: 'Niagara' (1953 - now in high definition). Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film.

Post by MissRachel »

rothbhoy wrote: September 18th, 2020, 4:42 pm
MissRachel wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:31 pm
rothbhoy wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:21 pm 'Niagara' (1953). It is now viewable in HIGH definition on the Internet! Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film. Enjoy! :) https://ok.ru/video/274754964131 It can be downloaded via this online downloader (others are available): https://okvid.download/
I think this was the movie that got me started. I also had a chance to dress in the boots and lovely, heavy rubber macks as a teenager.
Wow! You were so lucky there Miss Rachel. I wonder when the yellow and rubber macs were phased out. Do you happen to know by any chance?
It is true, I was part of that bit of "rain history" actually two times. Let me give you some detail. I saw the movie possibly in the late 60's and at that time I was ten. The movie was filmed in 1954 I think and the cat walks on the American side were still open. The had to wear boots, pants and a coat to get onto the slippery catwalks.

1) Some time in the early 70's our family took a trip to Niagara Falls. I think I was 12-ish????? Anyway I was pretty excited at the possibility to dress up in the rubber garb and see the water fall up close like in the movie. Much to our surprise the cat walks were close for repairs. i guess they had been there since the 1930's. Not to feel too bad we went on the Canadian side and road on the "Maid of the Mist." We had to wear heavy rubber boots and long rubber macks. i was wonderful: all the spray and rubber-ed up site seers. It was too short of a ride.

2) The next time I was at the falls was that same year! Our church organized a youth trip and of course I was all in! This time was outstanding and possibly the best rubber outing. We went on the boat and we also went to the "Cave of the Winds." At that time we still had to suit up in a dressing room with heavy rubber boots and long rubber coats. Then it was a ride down to the bottom of the falls on an elevator. The doors opened up to several platforms drilled out of solid rock only a few feet from the roaring falls! It was super wet! Possibly the grandest time I every had as a young person.

Now I have tried to locate the out coats we wore in that movie on the internet but only see these goofy, plastic, toss away ponchos I guess they hand out now. I searched 20 minutes and found this ONE picture. This picture seems close to the entrance. This is exactly how I was dressed back then.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a2/9a/5d ... d07c9b.jpg

I was sort of dissipointed we did not look like the outfits in the movie but it was still very exciting! So to the question as to when they stopped: might have been after 1980???

MR
Gordo
Posts: 45
Joined: March 25th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Re: 'Niagara' (1953 - now in high definition). Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film.

Post by Gordo »

rothbhoy wrote: September 18th, 2020, 4:42 pm
MissRachel wrote: September 17th, 2020, 10:31 pm
rothbhoy wrote: September 17th, 2020, 5:21 pm 'Niagara' (1953). It is now viewable in HIGH definition on the Internet! Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film. Enjoy! :) https://ok.ru/video/274754964131 It can be downloaded via this online downloader (others are available): https://okvid.download/
I think this was the movie that got me started. I also had a chance to dress in the boots and lovely, heavy rubber macks as a teenager.
Wow! You were so lucky there Miss Rachel. I wonder when the yellow and rubber macs were phased out. Do you happen to know by any chance?
I previously did some research on this to satisfy my curiosity. From searching on Flickr, I found pictures of reversible looking raincoats on the "Maid of the Mist" which were around in the first half of the 80's. I have no idea if these were PVC or rubber like earlier years. After about 1985 were the heavy looking blue ponchos that Princess Diana and her kids wore. A few years later they changed to the flimsy looking poncho's that resemble today. As for before the 80's on the "Maid of the Mist", there appeared to be the long black heavy raincoats.

For "Cave of the Winds" from looking it appears that they used long yellow raincoats until about 2000. Thought I feel that they likely were PVC. In the 2000's they seem to have gone to the disposable ponchos.

As for the full rubber outfit that Marilyn Monroe wore. I found another video also from 1953 of a couple visiting "The Cave of the Winds" who also had on long yellow rubber raincoats, and rubber yellow trousers. Apparently the original or earlier version of "The Cave of the Winds" were obliterated in a 1954 rockfall. This is when I suspect that they discontinued the rain trousers. In the decades before the 1950's I've read mentions of rubber trousers at Niagara in google books.

Another thing from the movie I noticed that the raincoats have a Black Diamond/Kaufman emblem, I know that Kaufman is a Canadian company that's still going in some form.
MissRachel wrote: September 18th, 2020, 5:33 pm
I was sort of dissipointed we did not look like the outfits in the movie but it was still very exciting! So to the question as to when they stopped: might have been after 1980???

MR
I'm just wondering. When you said you were disappointed to not look like the outfits in the movie, do you mean not wearing rubber trousers? Or were the raincoats different?
MissRachel
Posts: 786
Joined: June 1st, 2019, 12:39 pm
Location: TX, USA
Contact:

Re: 'Niagara' (1953) - now in high definition. Some very nice scenes of shiny yellow and black rubber macs in the film.

Post by MissRachel »

Hello Gordo,

great research! This explains why we could not get onto the catwalks as a child: by the time I got there in the 70s they were gone. No idea if they ever got rebuilt.

I was disappointed because the two times I actually got there the rubber pants were phased out for the long coats (see link above). I suspect they got rid of the yellow out fits for the one piece, black rubber coat because of the time element of getting everyone dressed. Something else that I remember that the same building we went into put on the heavy rubber coats: they had this huge hanging track system for drying the coats after their use. It was sort of like the system you see in the dry cleaners except this had hundreds of rubber coats in all sorts of sizes. The guy at the window would ask for your height and then he would fetch the coat. Next you would walk to another window to do the same thing but for boots. Then there was another room with benches and little cupboard to stick your shoes in (you had to pulloff your street shoes to wear their boots). After sight seeing the thing was all done in reverse. You can imagine my face when I had to give back that lovely, heavy rubber coat at the end. my day was ruined...
Post Reply