London Public

If you are interested to meet your fellow forum members this is where to set up a meeting.
latexloo

London Public

Post by latexloo »

Am I the only person in the whole of London that wears pvc or rubber rainwear whilst out and about? I would love to hear from any others.
Ian
gazeebo

Re: London Public

Post by gazeebo »

Hi Ian,

Don't worry, when I can I'm always wearing some form of pvc and plastic while out and about.
latexloo

Post by latexloo »

Thats good to hear Gazeebo.
I travelled up on the tube this morning, thunder, lightning, torrential rain, and yet i am the only person in the whole train suitably attired.
sergiouk

Post by sergiouk »

I was in London on Thursday evening and the changeable weather had definitely brought a larger than average amount of PVC to the streets.

Could this be the winter it takes off I wonder?
gazeebo

Post by gazeebo »

I must admit that I've not got the courage to go out while wearing a plastic mac but weirdly I'll happily wear a two piece plastic or pvc rain suit whether it's raining or sunny...usually with a pair of plastic pants underneath!
kulshan

Post by kulshan »

I think there are very few folks today that wear a traditional long raincoat and that would justify your anxiety. Like you, I have no hesitaton about a poncho or rain suit in frosty or clear pvc that shows a sports team or something contemporary. Thankfully those products still seem to be available I also hope more breakthroughs can be made to import some of those fantastic "jas hujan transparan" rain suits. Can't seem to get them out of Indonesia, though.
gazeebo

Post by gazeebo »

Are the suits you mentioned the blue two piece ones which were featured in an episode of Robson Green's fishing program? I'd absolutely love one of those as they look fabulous.
Mackintosh11

Post by Mackintosh11 »

Ian - I would love to have company when I walk out in my shiny mac and wellies.....Michael
latexloo

Post by latexloo »

Michael, that sounds great, PM me and we can talk some more if you are serious about this.
Nick York

Post by Nick York »

I regularly wear one of several rubberised riding mackintoshes out and about. I lived and worked in London for over thirty years and still spend a fair amount of time there even though my home is now York. London is, for obvious reasons, the most likely place to spot other rubber/PVC/plastic wearers and it's always a treat to respond to the "Where did you get that mack?" questions. Eighteen months ago, I was travelling from Victoria to Richmond on the District Line with an even bolder friend who was firmly secured in his full-length SBR mack while I had a white riding mack on; a young guy in suit and tie boarded seconds after us and saw us standing by the opposite doors, his eyes came out on stalks and he was very red faced as he came straight over, looked us up and down and, with a beaming smile, said, "Love your waterproofs, gentlemen!" It was pouring down and all he had was a golf umbrella, I couldn't resist saying, "How about swapping the gamp for one of our mackintoshes?" Another beaming smile before he said, "Ooh, yes please!" Sadly he alighted at Sloane Square but we got a nice wave and a fixed stare as he remained on the platform and our train pulled out.
The important thing is to wear the gear we love with confidence and not to hide in the shadows. I'm often mackintoshed in Ripon, Harrogate and Wetherby as well as York and when glances or approaches come, they're genuinely complimentary and so often involve people saying they used to have a mack and didn't realize they were still available. I've no hesitation in recommending "Weather Vain" but searching online for just riding mac is a double-edged sword when many site options come up which would put many folk off the idea. We only live once - wear your waterproofs with pride and elan and don't be afraid to show your pleasure - if it's cold but fine and sunny, put on your mackintosh/rainsuit/plastic mack and enjoy.