A Cottage Mystery - Part 1

Stories and fantasies about rainwear.
Domino

A Cottage Mystery - Part 1

Post by Domino »

The blue Mini pulled up at the side of a totally deserted coastal road, and Samantha got out. There was a steady drizzle, so she retrieved her white, semi-transparent raincoat from the rear seat and put it on. She fastened the studs, belted it around her waist and pulled the hood over her blonde hair.
The sea's edge was no more than twenty yards away. She walked towards it and gazed out to sea. As she did so, she began to have doubts. Maybe it had all been in her imagination. But no - it must have been real. It couldn't have been otherwise. All the same, she wanted to be sure. Then she had an idea. Take someone else back to the cottage. If it was real, then surely they would experience something too.
Samantha made her way back to the car. Once there, she got into the driving seat and lowered her hood. She looked back at the sea. It looked very dramatic as it sparkled in the morning light with the raindrops playfully dancing onto the waves. She started the car and drove into the nearby seaside town of Belford.

Half an hour later, she arrived at Lambourne House, a small block of offices in the town centre. She made her way to the third floor, where she was confronted by a door, upon which there appeared the name "Harry Kendal" in large letters, and underneath, in slightly smaller lettering, "Private Investigator".
She knocked on the door and went in. She was just in time to see a stocky man hurriedly closing the right hand drawer of his desk, into which he had just thrown a greasy newspaper, containing the remains of some half-eaten fish and chips.
"Are you Mr. Kendal?" Samantha asked.
"That's right, Miss," the man replied, wiping his hands on his trousers. "What can I do for you?"
"Well, it's a bit unusual really. I don't know where to begin."
"Try the beginning, Miss," said Kendal cheekily. "That way you'll know what you're talking about and, with a bit of luck, so will I."
Samantha drew a deep breath. "Do you believe in ghosts?"
"Do I what? Here, is this some kind of leg-pull?"
"No, no, I assure you. You'd better let me explain."
With the skill that Kendal had acquired from many years in the business, he at last realised that Samantha was being serious. He lifted a disorderly pile of papers from a chair in the centre of the room and half threw them into a corner.
"Here, Miss. You'd better sit down."

[To be continued]
hotwilly

Re: A Cottage Mystery - Part 1

Post by hotwilly »

No idea where this is heading -please continue
Broad minded enough to acknowledge we all enjoy different things:)