RUBBER MACKED FOR LIFE, part 2, The Sixties

Stories and fantasies about rainwear.
Tradmack

RUBBER MACKED FOR LIFE, part 2, The Sixties

Post by Tradmack »

The Swinging 60's arrived and I moved to secondary school. Here my gang of boys thought it cissie or soft to wear any sort of overcoat and wouldn't been seen dead in a mackintosh. So for the whole time I was there I never wore a mack in public but the situation at home was a different story.

At thirteen my parents considered me old enough to leave on my own when they went out for the evening on their occasional jaunts. Hanging up in the house were a selection of macks for my delectation. At this time many macks were bought from army surplus shops and country stores, mainly second hand and very inexpensive. We had a railway man's heavy duty double textured rubberized cotton mackintosh, black and super heavyweight, how anybody could do any work in it, I don't know, but fine for hanging around on rainy platforms I suppose. Also there was a long dark navy blue police mack with it's thick grey rubber lining partially hidden by a cotton shoulder buggy but super cool below the knees when worn. Another surplus services mack was a firemans's mackintosh made by the Speke Rubber company, this one off white and asbestos treated, wouldn't see the light of day now !
My mother had a semi translucent white plastic mac, quite thick but very smooth. With my parents safely out for the night I would take three or so items to the bedroom and on the onset of puberty pleasure myself in a strict routine. First on would be the smooth plastic mac, wonderful but only knee length on me, so on went he police mack on top, the cool rubber lining swishing around on my calves. Finally the massive heavy railway mackintosh completed the dressing up. After it was all over i would collect the discharge on toilet paper, put it it in the solid fuel oven we had going day and night and carefully hang all the macks back in the same position as i found them. This went on for years until I left home to work away.

Although we boys didn't wear macks at school, the uniform did include the ubiquitous navy gabardine raincoat and many girls wore them but throughout my school life I never saw a rubberized version. Myself I always looked out for the odd girl who would wear what was rapidly coming into fashion, the nylon anorak. I loved the look and rustle of these and there was one particular girl who had a navy one she wore every day in the winter term and I would look for her boarding or coming off her school bus. Some of the male teachers wore double tex macks but I can not recall seeing any female teacher in a stand out mackintosh. By the sixties, the mackintosh as a fashion item was wearing off although of course there would be several revivals in the next decade or so, I am thinking of the gangster mack and the dreadful khaki rubberized parkas which I hated with a vengeance.
One of the tricks we boys would play on the rain-coated girls, would be to put something nasty, like a slug or dirty grass in their hoods surreptitiously as they passed when worn down. This had the very pleasing effect of when the girls approached our gang, they would put their hoods up to prevent our naughty wiles. They would laugh at us in passing as they had won that small battle.

All in all a great decade, the sixties, music to die for and loads of macks, raincoats and anoraks in daily wear.
In part 3 I will tell you about my rubber life after leaving home when I really came into my own !!
Rives

Re: RUBBER MACKED FOR LIFE, part 2, The Sixties

Post by Rives »

Lovely to read this!! Thanks
Andyf08

Post by Andyf08 »

You were lucky not having to wear a mac to school.
hotwilly

Post by hotwilly »

I started Senior School in September 1965 and part of the regulation wear for the first two years was a green gaberdine raincoat.
Broad minded enough to acknowledge we all enjoy different things:)
rubbermac

Post by rubbermac »

Gosh,going to Grammar School in1970,always saw a beautiful girl in a blue PVC Raincoat everyday,such great memories.....Many Thanks
mactim

Post by mactim »

Good to hear that I was n’t the only one to enjoy a Mac layering up session when left home alone!
Also love the game you played on the hooded mackintosh girls as you can’t beat the sight of a girl with her hood pulled over!