PVC Oily Surface

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Kinky-In-Scotland

Re: PVC Oily Surface

Post by Kinky-In-Scotland »

debs37 wrote: May 3rd, 2019, 3:02 pm Hello..
Pvculike... My request of an over the head pvc smock NEW DESIGN...like the peter storm one would be lovey... I know u r cutting back....
But for me.. Please... lol.
Debs xx
Love ya pvculike x
I like the sound of that too, would be good with elasticated wrists and waist.
Wearer of Waterproofs & Waders - as often as possible!
Kinky-In-Scotland

Post by Kinky-In-Scotland »

debs37 wrote: May 3rd, 2019, 3:02 pm Hello..
Pvculike... My request of an over the head pvc smock NEW DESIGN...like the peter storm one would be lovey... I know u r cutting back....
But for me.. Please... lol.
Debs xx
Love ya pvculike x
I like the sound of that too, would be good with elasticated wrists and waist, and maybe matching bib overalls with elasticated ankles and a snap fly and wide shoulder straps with the snap fastenings on them like the farmerrain ones, we can live in hope :)
Wearer of Waterproofs & Waders - as often as possible!
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

I want a new one piece suit design. I really want a Hazchem suit with a front entry zipper and two buttons to cover the zipper for waterproofing. unfortunately, that will never see the day.
dotaa

Post by dotaa »

Hi pvc-u-like, my pvc hood HO10 recently developed an oily surface near the front or mouth & nose area. I cannot get rid of it with soap. Is it still safe to breathe inside?
pvculike

Post by pvculike »

dotaa wrote: January 29th, 2020, 6:50 am Hi pvc-u-like, my pvc hood HO10 recently developed an oily surface near the front or mouth & nose area. I cannot get rid of it with soap. Is it still safe to breathe inside?
Why are you choosing to say this on this site? We have a perfectly good contact us page and we even have humans that answer the phone. I have no idea what you are doing to the hood, it would be a lot easier if you discussed it with us direct.
dotaa

Post by dotaa »

I bought it over from Honour.co.uk, not directly from pvc-u-like but it is made by pvc-u-like. I have a few pvc-u-like products but only this hood is my first encounter with this oily issue. The rest have no such oily issue. Since pvc-u-like has a presence here together with pvc raincoat lovers, I shall raise the issue here. We all want safe enjoyment.

I have an oily face and I forgot to wash the hood with soap and I left it for few days. When I returned, there was this oily surface outside the hood, not just the inside the layer that has contact with my skin.
NoraSverige

Post by NoraSverige »

I seen this happen to shiny rukka raincoats before. I never understood why. Now I know its from sweat or oily stuff on skin. I now can avoid it happening to the raincoats. Thank you.
pvculike

Post by pvculike »

dotaa wrote: February 1st, 2020, 2:38 pm I bought it over from Honour.co.uk, not directly from pvc-u-like but it is made by pvc-u-like. I have a few pvc-u-like products but only this hood is my first encounter with this oily issue. The rest have no such oily issue. Since pvc-u-like has a presence here together with pvc raincoat lovers, I shall raise the issue here. We all want safe enjoyment.

I have an oily face and I forgot to wash the hood with soap and I left it for few days. When I returned, there was this oily surface outside the hood, not just the inside the layer that has contact with my skin.
I have never come across this before in the 25 years we have been trading. Some old pvc can suffer what is called "leeching" this is when plasticisers are released from the PVC, old age, oils, chemicals, cleaners, can all contibute to leeching. In your case if you have the mask on for long periods of time it could be sweat that is causing it to become oily because sweat contains salts which can interfere with the PVC. Can the plasticisers cause harm? That is a big question. There has been 50 years of testing and nothing of consequence has been found. Rats that were force fed 100 times the amount you could be exposed to developed problems with fertitilty and in severe cases changes in the liver but this was when DEHP was used as a plasticiser. Consequently DEHP has been banned in childrens dummies but is deemed to be safe for blood transfusion bags! We use a modern plasticiser called DINP which has a different molecular structure and has been classed as perfectly safe to use in PVC with childrens products. There is absolutely no proof that it poses a danger to health and has been passed by the REACH council and the EU safety boards as no threat to human health. At PUL we only use DINP in our PVC. If you buy PVC clothing from other sources such as China there is no guarantee that they are using REACH authorised plasticisers, they may also used some banned substances such as cadium and lead to stabalise their PVC so you take your chance. PUL supply their own PVC to china manufacturers to ensure compliance with REACH, this is why out prices are higher. Hopefully this explanation has put your mind at rest and you can carry on wearing your mask to your hearts content. Over and out peeps.
dotaa

Post by dotaa »

Thank you for clarification. I am back to living my pvc fantasy. :)