Charity Shops

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
thighbootman

Re: Charity Shops

Post by thighbootman »

Many years ago I found a men's black Rukka coat in the local Red Cross shop. The lady at the counter told me that they had had it for ages and nobody seemed to want it. "Put two quid in the box and it's yours" she said. I paid before she could change her mind!

When I got it home I found a matching sou'wester stuffed in a pocket. I've still got both and they are both still totally waterproof.
Kinky-In-Scotland

Post by Kinky-In-Scotland »

Charity shops used to be a good source of rainwear for me back in the early 90's, I would go round all the ones in Dundee before hopping on a train through to Perth, go round them all there then get the train back past Dundee and on up to Arbroath for a search of the shops there. Although I never looked through the women's coats to see what I could find, I could usually find something amongst the men's back then, my best find was a blue/yellow reversible PVC rainsuit, jacket and trousers, for £4.99, oh how I wish the charity shops were as good nowadays.
Wearer of Waterproofs & Waders - as often as possible!
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

ilikecoated wrote: March 30th, 2019, 5:32 pm Oh ! In that case you started quite early with indulging in these things.
Where I live no plastic diaper pants would have made it to charity shops etc because they were either reused within the same family or thrown away ( I even remember some of them ending up in the oven).

But I have a nice blue shiny vintage ladies Rukka that I got at a charity shop a few years ago for next to nothing.
Those vintage shiny Rukkas were excellent. It was a pity they never made any for men. As to "starting quite early" I can't ever remember a time when I did not find plastic and rubber materials special/exciting.
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

I can even remember that I both liked and disliked at the same time when plastic pants of the classic snap on type were put on over my thick pack of diapers. I very much liked the cozy feeling of being in them. And I can remember that something happened "down there" when they were put on. The rustling while they we're put on an being pulled through my crotch and stretched until the snappers were closed was simply devine.
The dislike came from my idea that it was unfair to treat them by putting them on, wearing them, mess into them only for them being "punished" with a hotwash cycle afterwards. I sometimes had the idea that the rustling meant that they were some kind of a living being begging for mercy.
KlepperGuy

Post by KlepperGuy »

My best find at a jumble sale, was a bag full of plastic wear that was being thrown away at the end of the day...........plastic wear......yes bloomers, pants, harem style pants and a long sleeved top. Who would ever want to buy a load of used 'Stephanie Bowman' slimming garments.......no-one, except me.
What were Stephanie Bowman slimming garments, I didn't have a clue........until I found their advert in my dad's Sunday newspaper, The News of the World.........wow Stephanie Bowman slimmings aids will help you lose weight.........see the pounds melt off ???
Yes had a lot of fun in those clothes..........Oh! and the brochure was exciting when I sent for it.
Did I loose any weight...............no but I certainly had fun trying :lol:
Happy days

Klepperguy
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

"Stephanie Bowman" is a real blast from the past. Right up there in the memory with South Bucks Rainwear Co and Rubber News.
annabell-cagoule

Post by annabell-cagoule »

I love hunting in the charity shops, i have found loads of lovely 70’s / 80’s cagoules, peter storm originals (my best find a brand new red with white zip one in my size brand bew condition never worn for £5! I wear it to work now and then) seaside towns are good pickings as are Welsh towns (rains alot in wales) especially llandudno for some reason.

I but alot of my everyday clothes from them too, jumpers, skirts etc. So cheap and nower days, goot quality
Lets get swishy!
hotwilly

Post by hotwilly »

Strangely though I grew up in the 60's never heard of Stephanie Bowman
I see Rubber Eva are doing retro in her name; https://www.rubberevashop.com/stephanie ... sweat-suit
Broad minded enough to acknowledge we all enjoy different things:)
raincoatboy

Post by raincoatboy »

Wowsers! That outfit would make great pyjamas.
Taffmac

Post by Taffmac »

If anyone uses Fetlife they can see me in my Stephanie Bowman trousers and top.