Times Square - banned umbrellas!

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
plasphil

Times Square - banned umbrellas!

Post by plasphil »

Although I'm in the UK, I have seen reports that umbrellas were banned from Times Square on new years eve for 'security measures'. It would appear even the TV reporters were banned from holding them but I have only found one in what I call decent rainwear so far, Maria Menounos wearing a nice yellow 'slicker' a picture that must have been taken before they took her umbrella away! It must have been quite a sight seeing tens of thousands of people most of which must have been wearing rainwear. Still searching for images and pictures....

Phil

https://www.facebook.com/NYEonFOX/photo ... 15/?type=3
raincoatboy

Re: Times Square - banned umbrellas!

Post by raincoatboy »

I noticed all the rainwear as soon as I turned over the tv. They had umbrellas up to the end of the show. I would have gladly made my rounds and collected all the pvc umbrellas.
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

is that a stutterheim she is wearing?
merv

Post by merv »

plasphil wrote: January 1st, 2019, 1:52 pm Although I'm in the UK, I have seen reports that umbrellas were banned from Times Square on new years eve for 'security measures'. It would appear even the TV reporters were banned from holding them but I have only found one in what I call decent rainwear so far, Maria Menounos wearing a nice yellow 'slicker' a picture that must have been taken before they took her umbrella away! It must have been quite a sight seeing tens of thousands of people most of which must have been wearing rainwear. Still searching for images and pictures....

Phil

https://www.facebook.com/NYEonFOX/photo ... 15/?type=3
I may have actually beaten Phil to this, a rare event tis true, try the archive of this https://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/ti ... m=tsstreet just scroll down from main live screen
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

Some one made a killing with plastic ponchos!
irishcagoule

Post by irishcagoule »

Looks like a Stutterheim
bjhaus

Post by bjhaus »

Of course somebody is making a killing with those bloody oversized ham roll wrappers - someone always does, they're totally useless for any purpose and they look absolutely ridiculous!! I first thought when sports stadiums were the first to get all nannyish about umbrellas 20 years ago, it might cause proper nylon or plastic raincoats (yeah, and bonnets - I'm biased) to make a comeback, and you always did see more of that kind of rainwear in sports crowds than anywhere else - but no, the fashion Nazis decided No, that was all too over-prepared and anal, shell out some ridiculous amount of money to look stupid and get soaked anyway, then leave the damn things behind when you go home for some other mug to work out how to get rid of them. Detest the bloody things!
shinyorthight

Post by shinyorthight »

Here is a short clip of show. I do like the coat she wears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icdRcZs ... e=youtu.be
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

Just love the wide-brimmed hat too.
kerstinmuc

Post by kerstinmuc »

Hey @ all,
at first -> happy new year to everybody...!!!
at second -> I'm a big fan of stutterheim raincoats. I own two of them.

both raincoats, the yellow and (!) the shiny black/white one are coats from stutterheim.

I hope the question of @irishcagoule and @rainwearseeker is answered now..
:-)
see you