Rainwear and Oil

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
swish87

Rainwear and Oil

Post by swish87 »

Hi, I'm planning some activities involving a lot of oil and rainwear soon and I wanted to check if anyone had any advice on various materials and which oil / lubes to use or not. My current understanding is to avoid using petroleum based oils as they cause staining and degrade PVC garments, therfore I will be looking to just use olive oil or vegetable oil.

So does anyone know the effects of these oils on the following:

Nylon (as in 5oz - 8oz material or 'Bri-nylon')
Pvc
Latex
Gore Tex
Neoprene
Polyurethane

Thanks!
shinyorthight

Re: Rainwear and Oil

Post by shinyorthight »

Latex will die, works only with silicone oil
The unbacked PVC i had got stiff
for the other materials - I do not know
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

What exactly do you want to do with oil ? And does any detrimental effect have to be avoided by all means or is it ok If the garments are damaged after some time ?
I have some experience with vinyl trousers worn underneath my jeans as slimming pants. I have soaked them inside each time with baby oil before wearing. They have been worn that way about thirty times during Summer for about 10 hours each time. They are not actally damaged yet but they suffered nontheless. They now smell rancid after being left in a paper bag for some months and some of the oil has wandered to the outside through the PU coating. I wonder what would happen to them if I just stored them in this status for some years. I guess they would slowly delaminate. I will most probably shred them soon and use a new pear for sweating.
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

Double post removed.
tiger4macs

Post by tiger4macs »

The only experience I can offer is using a silicone dry lube aerosol inside a glass-clear PVC mac. It makes it slither on the skin rather than gripping, and my GF reported its feeling much more erotic. Needless to say we were both delighted!

Before using it I checked-in with the nice lady at PUL (where we bought the macs - several of them) and she was of the view that it wouldn't harm PVC. Certainly silicones are generally very unreactive, unlike hydrocarbon oils, and the fact that the 'dry lube' version does actually dry rather than remaining slimy and messy is a huge advantage.