Macs in the media.

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
susanmacintosh

Macs in the media.

Post by susanmacintosh »

Does anyone else out there like checking old TV programmes and films for examples of rainwear? I can think of a few I've noticed recently, although very often they only give an all too brief glimpse of these wonderful garments.
Anyway here are some I can remember: In Hitchcock's Rear Window, the murderer is first seen wearing a grey plastic mackintosh. In a Taste of Honey the heroine's mother wears a lovely shiny creamy white plastic mac. There was an old British B movie on recently in which one of the detectives wore a black plastic mackintosh in several scenes, and in another film from the same period 3 convicts escape from prison, and when they meet their accomplice on the outside he gives each of them a soft black plastic mac to cover their prison uniforms. In the film of Billy Liar, one Billy's girlfriends wears a three quarter length lightweight plastic jacket. Although the film was in black and white I remember that Woolworths sold those jackets in pale blue and I am sure that is what she was wearing.
On Tv there was an episode of Midsummer Murders where the killer wore a long shiny black raincoat and black shiny boots. I'm not sure if the mac was rubber or PVC but it certainly aroused my attention! Just recently Talking Pictures have run a series form the 70s, Public Eye, and in one episode a friend of the hero wore an aubergine (well it was the 70s) wet look lined PVC mac. Further back I remember Rita in Coronation Street regularly weraing a lovely belted shiny mac, while I think it was Kathy in East Enders who wore a delightful long shiny black PVC trench coat.
That's all I can think of for now, Anyone like to suggest some more macs on screen.
rainwear-experience

Re: Macs in the media.

Post by rainwear-experience »

-
Last edited by rainwear-experience on October 12th, 2021, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sophie-Cagoule

Post by Sophie-Cagoule »

You cant beat the good life scene with Margo in a yellow peter storm over the head cagoule and matching over trousers in Toms garden!

:)
irishcagoule

Post by irishcagoule »

Sophie I love that scene.
Rainworshipper

Post by Rainworshipper »

You cant beat the good life scene with Margo in a yellow peter storm over the head cagoule and matching over trousers in Toms garden!

Best of all in that scene was where she fell on her back in the mud! Because I was at an early age I think that scene has a lot to answer for in my case!
susanmacintosh

Post by susanmacintosh »

One I forgot in my original post was from Brighton Rock, where a tarty middle aged woman wears a stiff transparent belted plastic mackintosh.
Rainworshipper

Post by Rainworshipper »

Try "The Sleeper" it is in two parts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxndgchBrMU At about 26 minutes into the first clip, the lead actress wears a yellow pvc anorack, and she wears it in several scenes in both clips.
Jjai

Post by Jjai »

There used to be an excellent list of rainwear media a while ago on the Rainwear lounge site sadly now gone, but my favourite film has to be Mogambo, in which beautiful Ava Gardner walks through an African jungle in a blinding rainstorm wearing a gorgeous Black heavy PVC mac and souwester.
luvcapes&macks

Post by luvcapes&macks »

A scene I saw so long ago that I just cannot recall the year , was a sketch on " That Was The Week That Was " with Roy Kinnear and Milicent Martin in a cafe after a football match , with Roy reading the match results in the sports edition of an evening paper .
What had me drooling at the tv set was the fact that Millie Martin was wearing a tightly belted black rubberised satin mackintosh ,seen in long shot and close up , and rustling every time she moved