Macs in the media.

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Johnnyrbr

Re: Macs in the media.

Post by Johnnyrbr »

Love the sound of gear rustling and wellingtons rubbed together.
shinymacs

Post by shinymacs »

Couldnt agree more with Johnnyrbr !
tiger4macs

Post by tiger4macs »

Millie Martin also sang a song about Kinky Boots in TW3, with the dancers (3 of them I think) doing a very sexy dance in the aforementioned footwear. It spun my wheels no end. It was about then I think that the word kinky became part of everyday language. The News of the World ran a double-page spread article about shiny PVC 'kinky' raincoats, and how hookers were wearing them in the streets. He interviewed one girl who said a lot of punters wanted her to wear one for sex, along with boots etc. She said he had a flat in London to operate from normally but "I've got another place out of town wear I keep all my kinky gear". The article was was fairly generously illustrated showing girls in PVC macs that could very well have been Mary Quant designs: brief, shapeless and not a lot of character, with never a hood in sight. Personally I never liked her designs much, the PVC being their only redeeming feature as far as I'm concerned. I realise that that remark may get me crucified, but you'll have to find me first.....
tiger4macs

Post by tiger4macs »

The thought of Millie Martin in black rubberised satin is breathtaking! Wish I'd seen her (and heard her)! And the Ava Gardner scene sounds out of this world too: another erotic moment missed. Damn!
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

As young schoolboy I went on a trip to Paris in the early '60's and was amazed at the number of women wearing shiny black mackintoshes which at that time would have involved both SBR and PVC. I was already well aware that I had a "thing" about them and so was in virtual heaven. Although UK had prohibited street soliciting by then I think it still went on Paris. Sexual attraction apart, if you needed to be outside in all weathers there was a lot to be said for wearing a waterproof mackintosh.
luvcapes&macks

Post by luvcapes&macks »

another TW3 scene i recall was the dancers ( Pans People ? ) in a fairly vigourous routine , wearing long , full , un - belted , silver rubberised satin mackintoshes
hotwilly

Post by hotwilly »

luvcapes&macks wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 11:15 am another TW3 scene i recall was the dancers ( Pans People ? ) in a fairly vigourous routine , wearing long , full , un - belted , silver rubberised satin mackintoshes
Pans People were always good value for money , wore as little as possible on TOTP
Hot Gossip took it one step further
Broad minded enough to acknowledge we all enjoy different things:)
tiger4macs

Post by tiger4macs »

I thought I'd watched TW3 almost every single week; I loved it, and David Frost was a great host, Millie Martin irresistible. But long silver genuine macintoshes?? QUORRRR, BLIMEY! Clearly I wasn't paying the attention I should have been! Wonder if anyone could find any of those old clips?
I do remember Frost referring to some programme in which the phrase "the perversions of the rubber" was considered too explicit for the BeebBeebCeeb and it was changed to "the oobles and groobles of the rubber". Frost raised one eyebrow, shook his head and changed the subject!
Domino

Post by Domino »

It can't have been Pan's People on TW3. The show was only on Nov. 1962 to April 1963 and September to December 1963. Nor can it have been its successor, 'Not So Much a programme, More a Way of Life', which was in 1964-1965, though Millicent Martin was in it. (She shared the singing duties with Lynda Baron and Annie Ross). Flick Colby did not form Pan's People until 1966.
There was a third Frost fronted satire show in 1965-1966 called 'BBC-3', but Millicent Martin wasn't in that. (Lynda Baron was the resident singer).
Pan's People first performed on 'Top of the Pops' in 1968.
Rives

Post by Rives »

Oh to see Fiona Bruce in a nylon pakamac and rain bonnet